Objectivism Online Forum

Hello Everyone

Rate this topic

I am a recent graduate of Wright State University, in Dayton, Ohio with a degree in Computer Science. I am 23 years old and my interests include computer programming, philosophy, and tennis. I am currently employed as a Program Analyst for a Dayton area company.

You might say that I had a unique introduction to Objectivism. My grandfather, Mark Scott hosted a talk radio show for many years in the Detroit area. He was a strong believer in Objectivism and taught me much about politics and philosophy. As a result of his influence, I was a firm believer in Objectivism from a very early age. However, I didn't actually read any of Rand's works until I began my college career.

After about two years of college, I felt isolated by the political atmosphere of Wright State. It was at this point that I decided to learn more about the ideas my grandfather taught me. First I read The Fountainhead and absolutely loved it...a few days after finishing it, I started to read Atlas Shrugged. The amazing thing was that, when reading about the character John Galt, I felt like I was reading about myself. I am not trying to say that I match the intelligence of Galt in the book, but the ideas expressed by him, and every one of his interests reflected my own ideas and interests.

Prior to reading this book I knew that I was "for the most part" an Objectivist, but I assumed that I would not agree with *all* of Miss Rand's ideas. Once I read it, I was amazed to discover that the ideas discussed in Atlas Shrugged perfectly reflected my own beliefs.

Sorry for the long introduction...I'm very happy that I finally found some other Objectivists to talk to. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Have you also read some of Ayn Rand's non-fiction?

I hope you find the forum of value.

PS: I have heard your grandfather's show. He was always provocative: made for good radio. I was sorry to hear that he passed away earlier this year.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you also read some of Ayn Rand's non-fiction?

I hope you find the forum of value.

PS: I have heard your grandfather's show. He was always provocative: made for good radio. I was sorry to hear that he passed away earlier this year.

I've read The Virtue of Selfishness and Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology. I plan to read some of her other non-fiction works but my reading list has been too full of other things lately. :(

Thank you for the kind words about my grandfather.

Hi!

I'm also a Dayton Objectivist, and the only one I knew about prior to this. ;) I've been trying to get in touch with others, but . . . nothing. So, you can guess, I'm very pleased to meet you.

I also attended WSU but I didn't finish my degree there; I was in CEG instead of CS.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

• 1 year later...

I am certainly pleased to hear that your Grandfather had such influence in your life. I was one of his faithful legion: waiting anxiously for those first chords of the George Thourogood song "Bad to the Bone" which was his introduction to that day's discussion of topics. Those topics were, of course, but thinly veiled lessons on Objectivism.

I deeply miss those shows that introduced me to Ayn Rand.

Do you know if there are any archives of his radio shows?

Dave

ILMC,BIFMG!

Edited by ItIsWhatItIs

I believe he is, um, deceased.

That may well be the case. I was interested in details on the interval between WXYT/WWJ and his present situation, whatever that may be.

skap35, please ignore this if it is uncomfortable. Thanks.