Objectivism Online Forum

Classics From The Baseball Booth. - Lol

Rate this topic

//Jerry Coleman is the longtime broadcaster for the Padres. He has been announcing since the 50's, starting with the Yankees when his playing days with them were over, and moving to the Padres, where he has been with them for over 30 years. He also managed the Padres during the 1980 season. He is a knowledgeable baseball man, with a great, classic baseball announcers modulation and cadence. However, he is well known to SD fans for his Colemanisms. LOL

You'll all love these ones. B) -EW//

How about these...all from one man

The immortal (and sometimes confused)

Jerry Coleman

"And Kansas is at Chicago tonight or is it Chicago at Kansas City? Well, no matter as Kansas leads in the eighth four-to-four."

"(Bruce) Benedict may not be hurt as much as he really is."

"Bob Davis is wearing his hair differently this year, short and with curls like Randy Jones wears, I think you call it a Frisbee."

"(Joe) DiMaggio seldom showed emotion. One day after striking out, he came into the dugout and kicked the ball bag. We all went 'ooooh'. It really hurt. He sat down and the sweat popped out on his forehead and he clenched his fists without ever saying a word. Everybody wanted to howl, but he was a god. You don't laugh at gods."

"Enos Cabell started out here with the Astros and before that he was with the Orioles."

"Eric Show will be oh-for-ten if that pop fly comes down."

"Gaylord Perry and Willie McCovey should know each other like a book. They've been ex-teammates for years now."

"George Hendrick simply lost that sun-blown popup."

//Ah, damn those dasterdly solar winds!-EW//

"(Johnny) Grubb goes back, back. He's under the warning track."

"He (Graig Nettles) leaped up to make one of those diving stops only he can make."

//Certainly he didn't earn a degree in physics.-EW// :lol:

"He slides into second with a stand up double."

"If (Pete) Rose's streak was still intact, with that single to left, the fans would be throwing babies out of the upper deck."

"Larry Lintz steals second standing up — he slid, but he didn't have to."

:huh:

"(Willie) McCovey swings and misses, and it's fouled back."

"On the mound is Randy Jones, the left-hander with the Karl Marx hairdo."

:huh:

"Pete Rose has three-thousand hits and three-thousand and fourteen overall."

"Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen."

"There's a hard shot to (Johnnie) LeMaster and he throws (Bill) Madlock into the dugout."

//Now that I'd like to see. :lol -EW//

"There's someone warming up in the bullpen, but he's obscured by his number."

"They throw (Dave) Winfield out at second — and he's safe."

:lol:

"Those amateur umpires are certainly flexing their fangs tonight."

//Yeah, Jerry, I have muscles in my teeth as well.-EW :rolleyes

"Whenever you get an inflamed tendon, you've got a problem. OK, here's the next pitch to Gene (Tenace) Tendon."

"Willie Davis is not as young as he used to be."

"(Dave) Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres."

:lol: //Not as terrible as it would have been for Winfield, though.-EW//

"You never ask why you've been fired because if you do, they're liable to tell you."

"Young Frank Pastore may have just pitched the biggest victory of 1979, maybe the biggest victory of the year."

//Here is a real brainy one from Steve Physioc, the Angel's play-by-play man.-EW//

"The White Sox have been very good in one run games this year. They are 17 and 7 in one-run victories." :D

I live less than 80 miles from San Diego, and listen to a lot of Padres broadcasts. Last year, after Montreal Expos pitcher Scott Downs miraculously escaped from several jams in a game against the Padres, I heard Coleman say:

"Scott Downs is the luckiest man in America, or at least in Montreal."

Apparently he didn't earn a degree in geography, either. . .

I live less than 80 miles from San Diego, and listen to a lot of Padres broadcasts.  Last year, after Montreal Expos pitcher Scott Downs miraculously escaped from several jams in a game against the Padres, I heard Coleman say:

"Scott Downs is the luckiest man in America, or at least in Montreal." 

Apparently he didn't earn a degree in geography, either. . .

LOL :D Yep, he and Yogi ought to get together and write a book. That would be something to read. lol