Objectivism Online Forum

A Nice Thing I Just Saw On Tv

Rate this topic

This isn't something that merits extended discussion. I post it because I often cringe at the philosophical filth spewed forth on television, and I find things like this "spiritually" (is that the best word?) encouraging. Hopefully some of you do as well.

During SportsCenter earlier this evening, ESPN aired a short piece on Bruce Bowen, who plays for the San Antonio Spurs NBA basketball team. He apparently had something of a crummy childhood as he was abandoned by his parents who were drug abusers or something.

Well, apparently Bowen found some people in the neighboorhood and other relatives to raise him, and he's written his parents off. In a stroke of philosophical smarts not often heard from athletes, and on the subject of family, not often heard from the general public, Bowen says, "Just because you're blood doesn't mean you're family."

Thank you, Mr. Bowen, for pointing out in one simple sentence on national television how absurd the idea of owing certain things to people just because they're related to you is.

Considering

This isn't something that merits extended discussion.
and then
The Pistons suck.

Pistons suck. Sweep sweep sweep.
I thought to myself, now how did this thread escape the ever watchful eyes of the admins and moderators, and then I noticed.......
Group: Moderators
Group: Admin

Glad to see we can maintain a sense of humor.

I think this thread holds some sort of record; for what I'm not sure. But a record of that I'm sure. :dough:

ps GO SPURS

Did I just hear a wager? Like first the one who looses places "I 'HEART IMAGE' Nathaniel" on his sig or something demeaning like that. Let money meet mouth kind gentlemen.

I know the Spurs are likely to win, they're only down 15 right now, but I'm still expecting to see the Rockets make their come back any moment. I know they will. It'll happen. I know Hakeem is coming back from Jordan and will make a miraculous comeback. I know that technically they aren't in the finals, but I still think they can pull it off. Now, where is that definition of denial......

edit for spelling

Edited by scottkursk

Piston's Thursday night in what will end up being one of the greatest comebacks in Final's history. Oh yeah, Chauncy will be MVP again, and as 'Sheed said it'll be the Pistons who will have the Moet poppin' that night. :)

Maybe this is too "simple minded" of a statement, but what really sucks is when the officials hand a game to an inferior team.

Whoa, and suddenly you find yourself changed from Advanced Member status to Not Only Banned But Below Nathaniel Branden's Sock Puppet Posts. Hmmmmmmm. Now how did that happen?!?!?!

I still think the Rockets are going to pull out a last minute victory. Yup, it'll happen. Actually, Sheryll Swoops will cross over from the insanely world record setting Houston Comets to lead the team to victory this year.

Oh what's that warning indicator now flashing like a literate guy with all his teeth at a David Allen Coe conert in the left hand corner of my screen now. Hmmmmmm.

edit for the David Allen Coe reference. if you were a fan, you'd get it.

Edited by scottkursk

Whoa, and suddenly you find yourself changed from Advanced Member status to Not Only  Banned But Below Nathaniel Branden's Sock Puppet Posts. Hmmmmmmm. Now how did that happen?!?!?!

Yep, it's crazy what sports can do to you sometimes. :dough: