Objectivism Online Forum

Good Books On Psycology

Rate this topic

Hello all,

Believe it or not I have looked almost everywhere on the internet for the some good books on Psycology (from the Objectivist point of view) particluarly on book stores related to Ayn Rand and her philosophy, yet I haven't been able to find one.

They seem to have cover many topics except psycology. I know the book "Psycology of Self-Esteem by N. Branden" but I am litlle prejudiced on that one.

Also since I want to learn psycology as a science, I wonder which book Ayn Rand herself would have recommended on this subject.

I had some historical info. from this article http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/randcogrev.html

but I am not prettly sure which book to go for if I look in the list of references.

So does anyone here has a better clue :D

:thumbsup: XObject

You could start by reading Ayn Rands article "THe psychology of Psychologizing", The Objectivist, March 1971.

Her Ayn Rand for instance writes: "As a science, psychology is barely making its first steps.....psychology has not yet found a Plato, let alone an Aristotle, to organize its material, systematize its problems and define its fundamental principles".

You could read the Ayn Rand lexicon, and from there go to the articles and books by Ayn Rand about philosophy. Second you can take a look at Ayn Rand bookstore, on the psychology-section.

For a recommended reading list, take a look at Dr. Hurd's list.

What do you mean by 'psychology' here? If you mean academic/experimental psychology then I cant really help you, but if you mean 'day to day' psychology (as in "why do people believe and do what they do in day to day life?" - the kind of 'psychology' done by Ayn Rand), then I dont think you can do any better than Nietzsche.

Edited by Hal

Hello all,

Believe it or not I have looked almost everywhere on the internet for the some good books on Psycology (from the Objectivist point of view) particluarly on book stores related to Ayn Rand and her philosophy, yet I haven't been able to find one.

Check out some of the books from the reading list on Dr. Hurd's website. I found some excellent books about addiction there.

Thanks you all for the recommendations. I think I will start with "Voice of Reason" follwed by some of Dr. Hurd's work.

At least it will all help me get an general idea :thumbsup:

BTW: Here I mean to day' to day' psychology (as in "why do people believe and do what they do in daily life) and then I can graduate to the experimental domain.

XObject

Edited by xobject