Objectivism Online Forum

Rand Quote On The Beauty Of Skyscrapers?

Rate this topic

judd

Sorry to lay this out but I have been looking all over and can't find this...

Just curious if anyone can help me find a quote from Rand that's something like "The beauty of sky scrapers is less the building and more the upturned head gazing skyward". Can anyone give me the actual quote and tell me what work it's from (I'm thinking Fountainhead but not sure). Thanks.

Thanks to Philip Oliver's searchable CD, I found the following that are close, but nothing closer to what you remember.

I like to see a man standing at the foot of a skyscraper...It doesn't dwarf him, it makes him greater than the structure. It reveals his true dimensions to the world. What we love about these buildings, Dominique, is the creative faculty, the heroic in man.

The building rises in the night as a white column, with drops of water rolling like tears on the joyously glistening walls, in the rays of spotlights. On top of the building, a man is standing, his head thrown far backā€”just a man looking at the sky

Sorry to lay this out but I have been looking all over and can't find this...

Just curious if anyone can help me find a quote from Rand that's something like "The beauty of sky scrapers is less the building and more the upturned head gazing skyward". Can anyone give me the actual quote and tell me what work it's from (I'm thinking Fountainhead but not sure). Thanks.

This is just from memory; I can check it later when I get home & put my hands on the book.

Gail Wynand is contemplating his crusade to defend/sell Roark to his Banner readers. We "hear him thinking to himself" something along the lines of "He wondered if the exaltation one feels comes not from what one contemplates but from the upward tilt of the head (or upward glance)".

Thanks to Christopher's hint I could find the quote on the CD.

His head thrown back, he felt the pull of his throat muscles and he wondered whether the peculiar solemnity of looking at the sky comes, not from what one contemplates, but from that uplift of one's head.