Objectivism Online Forum

Harry Potter

Rate this topic

Free Thinker

I realize that there is a thread already started about this, but it is not in the Fiction Book Reviews sections (it is in Aestheics), so I'll start a new one.

I have reserved the newest novel that is soon to be released ( at Barnes and Noble, where I am getting a 40% discount for doing so), and have been reading nothing but HP for the past couple days. I am currently on the thrid book, " The Prisoner of Azkaban".

To list a series of adjectives to describe the series would probably considered lazy, but regardless : I find the books funny, inspiring, suspenseful, imaginative, and wonderful. They are crafted in a such a way that it transports the reader to a wonderous land; a land of magic and heroism. They are also well written, you won't find any dumbed down language or plot lines here.

The website has a trailer for the newest film, "The Goblet of Fire", which is due in November. It looks incredible. It's funny though; in order to show that the characters have aged, they make their hair longer. (Same thing was done in Star Wars! :dough: )

The website has a trailer for the newest film, "The Goblet of Fire", which is due in November. It looks incredible. It's funny though; in order to show that the characters have aged, they make their hair longer. (Same thing was done in Star Wars! )

I love how they use the same actors though. Even with the hair, you can tell they've aged. My only concern is that Rowling will not have the 7th book out by the time they are ready to make the 7th movie! Either way, I'm excited. Only two more weeks....then five more months. Well dang. :confused:

I started reading the first book and I can't get used to the modern short-sentence style of writing.  Is this typical of current writers or reserved for childrens' books?

I think that it's just current writers. In all my Rhetoric classes in college, they kept telling me I'm write in run-ons! Based on proof-reading, I think they are just crazy. This also might explain why I am not a liberal arts major. :confused: I also haven't read too many children's books lately to tell, though I don't consider Harry Potter to be a children's book.

... I don't consider Harry Potter to be a children's book.

:lol:

I agree with you, I don't consider it a "children's book" either. That label simply doesn't work. There's so much more to it than that. Kids can read the books from the surface, enjoy the characters and adventure, and love them. People my age grew up with Harry. We like seeing bits of ourselves in the characters, using Rowling's many clues to guess what is coming next, and imagining Harry's world. I don't know what the books are for adults, but I know lots of them read them. The point is, they aren't merely "kid's books." They are an epic mystery, they are a childish fantasy, they are something my generation will remember for the rest of our lives.

Ok, now that I'm done with my two cents on that. *cough* I'm not obsessed, really... Ok I am, oh well.

In order for me to discuss Harry Potter, it is entirely necessary to tell the story of how I became obsessed with the books. They have been a big part of my childhood.

Anyway, I read the first book when I was ten. I'm now nearly 16. When I read the first book, it was a novelty. My step-dad got it for me because it was very popular in Britain, but I hadn't yet heard of Harry Potter. I was quite skeptical at first. I had never read a story about wizards before, and I found the idea sort-of funny, because I had never liked the wizardy type fairy tales very much.

After the first few chapters, I was hooked. It was on to book two, and then book three. But alas, book four had not yet been published. So I bought the books on tape and played them every hour of the day. Then, the release day parties weren't as publicized as they are now. However book 4 was the first book I remember waiting for. I went the Amazon.com route that year. I got it delivered and read it in about a week.

Shortly after that there was a headline in Yahoo! news that the title for book five was going to be Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Two years later I didn't know too much more about the new book. I knew someone important was going to die in it and I had read the jacket insert. This time though, I wasn't messing around with Amazon. I went to Borders at midnight. It was so crowded that if you left, you couldn't come back in because the store was over the legal capacity.

The reason I am telling this whole big story is to show that though a lot of time has passed, there is something about those books that keeps me interested. So to continue... After Order of the Phoenix came out I started getting into the Harry Potter internet fandom. My favorite, as with any good HP fan, is Mugglenet. I became particularly interested in debating clues with the "Super Sleuths" on the New Clues board. It became apparent how much older I was than when I had read the first book, because of how much information was suddenly available. JK Rowling started her own flash website which she uses to tease fans with clues about the new book. It was there that the title was released. I went from hearing about the series on the news to reading an internet headline, to debating with "muggles" in distant countries about whether Mark Evans was the Half Blood Prince.

I love Harry Potter doesn't really cover it all that well. While Atlas Shrugged will probably be the book of my adulthood. Harry Potter will always be the book of my childhood. But they aren't kids books to me anymore, because I'm not a little kid anymore. Harry will be sixteen and so will I.

I'll be going to the midnight release again with two of my friends. I'll be finished reading by the time half the fans get their books. :thumbsup:

I love the wonder of the stories and the heroic epic tale. But I also love how Harry and I have grown up together. Each book gets progressively darker, heavier, and more complex. I'm glad that I could read the first one when I was close to Harry's age, because I think many people might be turned off by the simplicity of the first novel. But it's not really that simple at all.

Okay, that's my sappy obsessive story. I hope you liked it. Sorry it's so long. I couldn't resist.

See you at midnight on July 16th. :D

That's not really a spoiler. That bit of information has been available since before book 5 came out.

*small spoiler warning*

It is my impression that JK Rowling intentionally let it be known that someone was going to die in book 5. Before the book was released, she did an interview on TV where she said that she was distressed after killing off the chracter.

As Tea pointed out, it was common knowledge before the book was even released, admitted by Rowling herself!!  I was happy to have the info anyway; It  prepared me for my heartbreak.  :o

I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter myself. I have all the books and all the movies. Unfortunately, I don't have time to re-read the books, but that's why I've seen the movies many times. They're always as good as the first time.

* spoilers for those who didn't read book 5 *

I remember reading the paragraph where the beforementioned character dies and I didn't really like it. When I heard that Rowling actually cried when she wrote that part, I thought it was going to be by far more dramatic than it was in the book. I was sad that such a great character had died, but I was also angry with Rowling to have killed him so stupidly!

To those seeking such information in the first place...

Well, not really. I wouldn't for example post book 6 spoilers here, as those have only ever come out of JK Rowling's website, so you pretty much have to seek them out. Some of the even required you to solve puzzles and questions to get to them. However, this book 5 spoiler was on the news, in the papers, etc. My point is that I'm quite suprised you didn't know it already.

But you're right about me seeking out the information. :o I loved solving those riddles on JKR's website. For anyone who doesn't mind small spoilers that don't really tell you anything, I'd definitely recommend poking around jkrowling.com. If nothing else, the flash animation is really cool. Just watch out for peeves. ;)

Okay, since this is supposed to be a book review (I think) I'm sort-of off topic. So some questions for everyone that are review-ish.

1.What is your favorite book of the series?

2.Have you read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages? What did you think?

3.Have you read any Harry Potter related manuals, clue books, etc. and did you like them?

4.Do you think that the movies were well done?

BOOK 5 SPOILERS

* spoilers for those who didn't read book 5 *

I remember reading the paragraph where the beforementioned character dies and I didn't really like it. When I heard that Rowling actually cried when she wrote that part, I thought it was going to be by far more dramatic than it was in the book. I was sad that such a great character had died, but I was also angry with Rowling to have killed him so stupidly!

Yes, I didn't like the scene much either, but my personal opinion on the matter is that JKR did it so that there was room for doubt. It's widely debated whether he is actually dead or not. It's highly likely that he'll be back in one form or another.

BOOK 5 SPOILERS

Yes, I didn't like the scene much either, but my personal opinion on the matter is that JKR did it so that there was room for doubt. It's widely debated whether he is actually dead or not. It's highly likely that he'll be back in one form or another.

If that is true, then you have just spoiled me his comeback. :o

Okay, to answer my own questions:

1. book 5 because it is more complex than the others. I also enjoyed Umbridge's character.

2. Yes. I enjoyed them, though I wish JKR would write Hogwarts: A History. That would be something.

3. I have read The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter by David Colbert. It's pretty boring. I particularly enjoy Galadriel Water's books:

The Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter

New Clues to Harry Potter Book Five

The Plot Thickens (actually written by fans)

These books are clue books and point out "oddities" in the Harry Potter series such as the fact that the Potters are killed at night and a whole day passes before Harry is delivered to the Dursley's (again at night). This gives rise to plenty of speculation. I'd recommend these for people who like to figure out mysteries for themselves. In any case they're the only Harry Potter related books not written by JKR that are any good, in my opinion.

4. I liked the first two movies much better than the third one. I think they were fairly well done, but I doubt I'd ever be completely happy with them unless they were four hours long and screenwritten by JKR. :o

I must agree with you and source. Good character, bad ending. And all that gossip about how he could return!

I actually don't like the movies too much. Maybe I'm too much of a purist. The actual book three is my favorite and the movie just let me down. I have been to places like muggle.net and wow... so much information and speculation!! You could get really caught up in all that.

Have you found all the eggs on Rowling's site?

8 days 9 hours and 41 minutes. :lol:

You forgot to take into account the time you'll spend standing in line. Unless you ordered the thing on Amazon and you're eligible for 16 July delivery. I'm not. :( I will have to stand in line.