Objectivism Online Forum

Harry Potter

Rate this topic

Free Thinker

Unless you ordered the thing on Amazon and you're eligible for 16 July delivery.

I definately ordered it... but my mail doesn't come until late in the afternoon. And coincidentally I'm taking my friend to a Toby Keith concert for his birthday that same night. So it's really like 9 days today. :lol:

Out of curiosity, do they print the books in Croatian? Do you read it in Croatian or English?

I definately ordered it... but my mail doesn't come until late in the afternoon.  And coincidentally I'm taking my friend to a Toby Keith concert for his birthday that same night.  So it's really like 9 days today.  :lol:

Out of curiosity, do they print the books in Croatian?  Do you read it in Croatian or English?

If I remember correctly, Amazon delivers UPS. I remember hearing that Amazon will deliver early on the 16th. Maybe that was the last release... Anyway, I remember when I ordered book 4 through Amazon it got delivered by a UPS or Fed Ex truck.

The Croatian translation is not available until October 15th. All the release dates are listed here.

Out of curiosity, do they print the books in Croatian?  Do you read it in Croatian or English?

They print them in Croatian, but they'll only be able to begin the translation on the date of release of the English version, I think. So, it's going to be a long wait for fans from Croatia who want a Croatian version. I tried reading a Croatian version once, but the translation was hillarious. There are no translations for names of plants, objects or spells, so they invent their own names. So Diagon Alley became The Street around the Corner.

Generally it's not a really bad translation, but it loses much of what the author wanted to say. Diagon Alley, when spoken right sounds almost like diagonally, and that is what impressed me when I first saw Harry Potter movie (yeah, I first SAW the movie, and only then I read the books). Quidditch became Broomstick Fight and so on. I could list quite a few "jewels," but I can't remember those I heard, and most translations I don't even know of.

Seing that I wouldn't really enjoy reading the translated version of Harry Potter, I got myself an English version. And from then on, I'm reading Harry Potter only in English.

I finished the fifth book early this morning (around 130). I wasn't that impressed b it - I thought the ending could have been better written.

1.What is your favorite book of the series?
I would say "The Prisoner of Azakaban". I thought the time travel bit was very interesting.

2.Have you read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages? What did you think?

I saw "Quidditch" at the library and I skimmed through it. It looked pretty funny.

3.Have you read any Harry Potter related manuals, clue books, etc. and did you like them?
No, I don't want anything spoiled for me. I saw a couple of those books at B and N.

4.Do you think that the movies were well done?

I think overall the movie are great - however I don't really like David Radcliffe as HP. It's not really convincing.

Just a general message to those who have the mentality that the masses are mindless and stupid. Even with all the baggage of contradictions they are fed and allow themselves to absorb, the site of the heroic and the good still manages to capture the attention of many, evidenced by the spectacular sales of the Potter books.

I, too, have been addicted to the books. I just started book 6 last night. What I've liked about the books is that they've progressed with their audience (as evidenced by the poster who started reading them at 10 and is now 16) The first story was a well-written children's story. NOW, they are a regular fantasy novel about a young, special wizard. Many of the stories are dark even to the point of being scary.

I thought the HP movies were as close to the books that the movies could get and the best adaption of a book since "The Lord of the Rings (though, pales in comparison)." Personally, I liked the third movie the best, but that may have just been the shot that Hermoine gave Draco. "Not good, BRILLIANT" And I enjoyed the dark style given to that particular movie, considering the way the following books will go.