Objectivism Online Forum

Emotional Growth Schools

Rate this topic

I had a Sibling how went to a school Called Rocky Mountain Academy (RMA). Before she went to RMA she was getting into heavy drug use and was becoming violent with members of our family when confronted about it. After RMA she changed completely. She is now going to school, has a wonderful relationship with almost the entire family and has had a steady relationship for five years and now has a very strong moral base to live her life by. We tried nearly everything before we decide to send her there. Grounding, living with other relatives, we even let her spend a night in jail ect.

What I want to know is what the Objectivist view on Emotional Growth School is? Specifical the CEDU system (which RMA is a part of) The program for RMA was 2.5 years long with only brief visits home every now and then. When my sibling went there the kids lives were very regulated (no make-up, only a certain type of clothing, very limited music selection) with gradual freedom given as you made progress. I have no idea if it has changed since. The idea is that the kids have abused the freedom they had so now they have to earn it back.

You can find both pro-cedu and Anti-cedu arguments found at these websites:

http://fornits.com/wwf/hot_topics.php

http://www.cedugraduates.com/modules.php?o...B_14&file=index

Now, I do not think I can ever feel negatively toward the program because of how much it help my sibling I would like to know what the Objectivist stand point is.

Thanks

What I want to know is what the Objectivist view on Emotional Growth School is?

There is no Objectivist view on EGS or any other particular institution. Objectivism is the philosophy which Ayn Rand created. A philosophy provides basic principles applicable to everyone, everywhere, at all times. It does not evaluate particular people, institutions, or pieces of rock music. Of course, Objectivism, in that in provides basic principles, can and should be used to set a foundation for evaluating everything in our lives.

The key question, then, is what is your evaluation of EGS -- using the principles you have learned from Objectivism?

This description of "Emotional Growth" (link) is the best I could find.

Briefly, this is what I understand: these are not schools not for normal kids. They are for "problem kids". The assumption underlying their program appears to be that they need to be more than just a school: they need to be a mix of psychologist and school (or strict-parent + school).

Rosmerta, are there some aspects of these schools that you view negatively?

CEDU was purchased by a firm, Brown Schools. All the CEDU schools were closed abruptly in March 2005. The employees were not paid for the last 2 weeks' work.

The schools are all in remote locations and the parents were faced with huge problems in retrieving their children.

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_drea...a_timeline.html

The other large chain of schools offering this type of "education" is Aspen:

http://www.aspeneducation.com/closing.html

I had a Sibling how went to a school Called Rocky Mountain Academy (RMA). Before she went to RMA she was getting into heavy drug use and was becoming  violent with members of our family when confronted about it. After RMA she changed completely. She is now going to school, has a wonderful relationship with almost the entire family and has had a steady relationship for five years and now has a very strong moral base to live her life by. We tried nearly everything before we decide to send her there. Grounding, living with other relatives, we even let her spend a night in jail ect.

What I want to know is what the Objectivist view on Emotional Growth School is? Specifical the CEDU system (which RMA is a part of) The program for RMA was 2.5 years long with only brief visits home every now and then. When my sibling went there the kids lives were very regulated (no make-up, only a certain type of clothing, very limited music selection) with gradual freedom given as you made progress. I have no idea if it has changed since. The idea is that the kids have abused the freedom they had so now they have to earn it back.

You can find both pro-cedu and Anti-cedu arguments found at these websites:

http://fornits.com/wwf/hot_topics.php

http://www.cedugraduates.com/modules.php?o...B_14&file=index

Now, I do not think I can ever feel negatively toward the program because of how much it help my sibling I would like to know what the Objectivist stand point is.

Thanks

Hey thanks to everyone that replayed!

Personally I think these school are very helpful for trouble kid like my sibling. The schools teach them about confront there problems, working with others, and developing there morals. The main problem I see is that sometimes kids that don't need to be sent there are. My sister has some friends that were in that situation for various reason. (They had psychological problems that were not identified, lazy parents ect.)

To my understanding one of the CEDU schools refused to close. The staff would not leave and the parents would not take there kids home because they feel what they are doing is right. (I will have get get back to you with the name of the school)

Also I know that a lot of the parents of CEDU graduates are interested in buying at lest some of the CEDU properties. After my sister left the man that started the program Mel Wasserman (sp?) died. He never really wrote down that his methods were so a lot of it was lost. Thats when the schools started to go down hill. People like my parents who had gone to workshops hosted by Mel have been trying to pool money to get the property so they can get the schools back on track.

~Rosmerta~

• 4 weeks later...

What does it matter what objectivism says about that kind of school. It seems to me that if it helped her then it really doesn't matter what objectivism says about it (if it even does.) Of course you can try and find out why and how it helped, but I really don't think Ayn Rand is the way to look.

*By the way congrades on your sibling I hope she continues having a good life and that your parents can get the school back on its feet. :lol: