Objectivism Online Forum

Books: Revolutionary Period/enlightenment

Rate this topic

Praxus

I have recently read Paul Johnson's book on George Washington and "American Scripture". This spurred interest in the period, does anyone have any recommendations on what books about or from that period would be a good read?

Stating your purpose in doing such reading will help set a context for making recommendations. Are you considering this study to be the first step toward your central purpose in life? Or have you already chosen a CPL and you want to read about the historical roots of the U. S. A. as a leisure activity? Or do you have some other purpose in mind?

More narrowly, are you interested in political history, history of ideas, history of technology, or the history of particular events?

Further, how much effort are you willing to put into the study of this period? The best way to study a particular aspect of history is to read several books on the same subject, but with each book written by an historian who has a different philosophy. For example, reading a book about the origins of the revolution, written by a leftist, and then reading one by a conservative can be very fruitful, even though neither author may be completely objective. You can compare their accounts for agreements and disagreements and solve the puzzles that approach raises.

Stating your purpose in doing such reading will help set a context for making recommendations. Are you considering this study to be the first step toward your central purpose in life? Or have you already chosen a CPL and you want to read about the historical roots of the U. S. A. as a leisure activity? Or do you have some other purpose in mind?

Leisurely, but indepth.

More narrowly, are you interested in political history, history of ideas, history of technology, or the history of particular events?
All of the above.

Further, how much effort are you willing to put into the study of this period? The best way to study a particular aspect of history is to read several books on the same subject, but with each book written by an historian who has a different philosophy. For example, reading a book about the origins of the revolution, written by a leftist, and then reading one by a conservative can be very fruitful, even though neither author may be completely objective. You can compare their accounts for agreements and disagreements and solve the puzzles that approach raises.

I'm willing to read up to two books a month. Which is about what I did when reading about ancient Rome.

I am a believer in the value of primary source materials when studying history.

There is a two-volume set, The Debate on the Constitution, that you might find interesting. Subtitle for this set is: Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification.

Volume one is divided into two parts: "Debates in the Press and in Private Correspondence" and "Debates in the State Ratifying Conventions".

I have temporarily mislaid Volume Two, so I can't summarize its contents/divisions.

It is published by The Library of America. (ISBN 0-940450-42-9)

I have recently read Paul Johnson's book on George Washington and "American Scripture". This spurred interest in the period, does anyone have any recommendations on what books about or from that period would be a good read?

You may want to explore Ernest Cassara's "The Enlightenment in America."

I am currently on the 4th book in the Sparrowhawk series which is set prior to the American Revolution. They are written by an admirer of Ayn Rand. I recommend them.

I read the first one a month or two ago, it was quite good. I think I'll get the second one soon.

You may want to explore Ernest Cassara's "The Enlightenment in America."

I'll certainly check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

I am currently on the 4th book in the Sparrowhawk series which is set prior to the American Revolution. They are written by an admirer of Ayn Rand. I recommend them.

History, as a discipline, is the science that studies the facts of past human events. Fiction is an art which tells stories about human events as they could and should happen.

Do you think that reading fiction is an objective way to learn about history? If so, why?

P. S. -- I second your recommendation of Ed Cline's Sparrowhawk series. I have read the first two, and I plan to buy number three soon.