Objectivism Online Forum

Introduction

Rate this topic

Well, it has taken me a considerable amount of time, but I have finally joined a community to discuss philosophy with others. While I am a mere 15 years of age, I find myself motivated and thoroughly interested in philosophy, and especially Objectivism.

To start, I'd like to say that searching for reason is not always the easiest thing, at least when it comes to peers. I do not know if many people actively pursue philosophy as a teenager, so I do no know if I'll feel out of place here. The reason I say it is hard to search for reason, is because it seems like the society around me is full of irrationality and anti-reason. I have been indoctrinated from early childhood to believe in faith, altruism, etc. It was not until I was introduced to Anthem until I began to fully understand the corruption of the doctrines I was brought up on, and proceeded to read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. It's simple to say that say that my life has been turned around. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people are tired of hearing the "Atlas Shrugged changed my life" type of ordeal, but it's true. I think the only "downside" to being rational is the wait to find someone else (friend, teacher, etc.) who reflects my morals. I'm not afraid of being alone, but I am a little disturbed that it's so hard to come by someone of reason.

I have a question that I'd like to ask on the forum, this being the first time I've really talked to advocates of reason.

Why is society so wrapped up in altruism and faith/religion when it just leads to horrible consequences and broken down lives? The only reason I have found out why anyone would turn to religion is quite pathetic. I believe that someone only goes on faith in a deity or "supernatural being" because they cannot provide their own happiness and must depend on someone or something else. I don't see how someone can trudge through life expecting something for nothing. Expecting someone else to provide happiness and well being. I think one of the greatest parts of my life is that I can earn my happiness.

Well, I'm sure I will be active in this community, so I will post later.

-Patrick

Edited by VacantLaugh

... I am a mere 15 years of age, ... I do not know if many people actively pursue philosophy as a teenager, so I do no know if I'll feel out of place here...  .
Welcome to the forum, Patrick. Yes, we do have quite a few people in their teens here. If you look through the "Introductions" threads, you'll find some. In fact, if we do have a shortage of any age-group, it is a shortage of oldies like me :confused:

Welcome, Patrick, and don't listen to SoftwareNerd's complaints about how old he is, it's just his imagination.

As for your question: wanting to live enough to discover how is actually quite hard.

I have a question that I'd like to ask on the forum, this being the first time I've really talked to advocates of reason.

Why is society so wrapped up in altruism and faith/religion when it just leads to horrible consequences and broken down lives?

Society for the most part is wrapped in religion simply because that is what they are brought up with. If a child is raised with religious parents and is indoctrinated young enough, then most of the time that child will accept God as an axiom rather than something that needs to be validated by reason. And so the cycle continues as they indoctrinate their own children etc. It takes a special type of personality to break from that of an intellectual prison - but once free, well, that person can never be swayed by any sort of mysticism again. Its sort of a trial by fire - if you can survive such an upbringing than you are ultimately stronger by it, rather than having been raised without religion in the first place.

• 1 month later...