Objectivism Online Forum

Programming Tools Help

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

I have been trying to gather as many programming tools/programs as possible to aid me in my programming papers. I would like to know if any of you have any programs that you think I should try and that I might have missed. I dont care what languages they cater for, I am interested in learning as many programming languages as is feasible.

Tools for doing what? And why would you want to learn as many languages as is feasible?

A good text editor is essential, so you might want to scout around the internet to find something you really like. Emacs and vi are two popular choices, although they will both take you quite some time to get the hang of. Textpad for windows is pretty good too.

Tools for doing what? And why would you want to learn as many languages as is feasible?

A good text editor is essential, so you might want to scout around the internet to find something you really like. Emacs and vi are two popular choices, although they will both take you quite some time to get the hang of. Textpad for windows is pretty good too.

sorry, I thought i had specified. I am primarily looking for tools for editing/compiling and such things. I have Emacs and vi as part of various Linux distrubutions, Delphi for Windows, GCC and JFE for Windows, Visual Studio Express Beta for Windows....etc.

And I want to learn a range of languages (as many as feasible meaning as many as is feasible given constraints such as time and finances etc... I am very, very curious when it comes to programming languages...).

Which programming languages are you currently comfortable with?

C, C++, BASIC (not that that means that much anymore. I used to use this all the time on my Commodore64), HTML (a little XHTML). I am starting to become familiar with Delphi.

C, C++, BASIC (not that that means that much anymore.  I used to use this all the time on my Commodore64), HTML (a little XHTML).  I am starting to become familiar with Delphi.

You might take a look at KDevelop. It's an IDE for the K Desktop Environment, running on Linux. I've not used it myself, but a lot of people seem to like it. Also in that same general area is QTDesigner, a tool used by the QT programming framework to design dialog boxes.

Quanta is reportedly a very good HTML editor, also for KDE.

I would use either NetBeans, Eclipse, or JGrasp if you're going to get into Java. JGrasp is a really easy to use and hence a great beginner's IDE.

I will try those programs then. I do intend to master Java, and it is part of my Information Systems paper, so given that I will be getting an A in that paper, I have little choice.

From what I hearm, Nebtbeans is probably the best of the programs you mention. Would you say that is correct?

I have KDevelop on one of my Linux distrubutions and from what I have tried of it so far, it seems OK. It seems powerful enough and certainly has enough features. The only issue I have with it so far is it is not as fast as some alternatives and some of the features just waste space for basic tasks.

In Windows (which I do have to use alot due to the format of alot of the programs I use all the time) I use the First Page HTML editor. Although it is free, it is very powerful, comes with pages upon pages of HTML help, various useful pre-built scripts and many other features. It has novice to expert settings so is suitable for coders of all levels.

It is by far the best HTML editor I have used as of yet. Last I checked it was not available for Linux... which is a pity. I wonder if I could port it over one day....

It is one of the good ones. I use Eclipse and love it.

Alright, then. I shall be installing all of the programs you folk have mentioned and hopefully I will like one or two of them.

Thank you everyone whom has posted here so far.

As a former programmer who also was quite interested in learning an array of languages, I would suggest looking into Perl, PHP, Python (and its Java implementation, Jython) and Ruby.  All are "higher" level languages which I found very useful in my studies of computer science.

I would suggest learning different types of languages rather than lots of imperative/OO ones. A functional language for instance (I like Lisp although that isnt purely functional), maybe a logic language like Prolog too.

Edited by Hal

I would suggest learning different types of languages rather than lots of imperative/OO ones. A functional language for instance (I like Lisp although that isnt purely functional), maybe a logic language like Prolog too.

I am sure that there is some benefit in learning a huge bunch of OO languages. However at the moment I plan to focus on OO languages. This is due to the fact that future papers in the degree I plan to shift to next year (Bachelor of Engineering, majoring in Computer Systems Engineering or Mechatronics) focuses heavily on OO programming languages.

I am sure that there is some benefit in learning a huge bunch of OO languages.  However at the moment I plan to focus on OO languages.  This is due to the fact that future papers in the degree I plan to shift to next year (Bachelor of Engineering, majoring in Computer Systems Engineering or Mechatronics) focuses heavily on OO programming languages.

Fair enough. I'd still recommend taking a look at Lisp though, because the OO implementation in Lisp (generic functions) is significantly different from the model in C++/Java type languages, and if youre writing papers on OO methodology it might be useful to have knowledge of other ways of doing things.

Actually I think I misunderstood you - I thought you said you were going to write essays about OO languages and the OO paradigm. If you actually meant that you will be using OO langusges for your projects, then getting experience with a different OO implementation wouldnt be so important :thumbsup:

Actually I think I misunderstood you - I thought you said you were going to write essays about OO languages and the OO paradigm. If you actually meant that you will be using OO langusges for your projects, then getting experience with a different OO implementation wouldnt be so important :thumbsup:

I do not yet have any essays on OO. Although I might have as part of my later studies at higher levels.

To clarify what seems to be an error on the behalf of some of you. Maybe it is a regional thing, but when Uni students here say 'paper' we generally mean 'course'. Ie, Calculus 160.101 is an entry level Calculus paper. We generally say 'essay' or assignment' if we mean we are working on an essay or such, instead of calling it a 'paper.

Wierd, I always thought of "paper" as, well, paper.

Yes, we do mean paper in the context of 'wood deriative' from time to time as well, ie within contexts different to above. So you are not <i> totally</i> mistaken ...

I recommend C# and Visual Studio.Net 2005, but if you insist on Java, I really liked the Eclipse environment. If you really to want to expose yourself to a variety of languages, C# would be a great complement to Java.

I am already intending to expand my C knowledge to C# and have the Beta version of Studio.Net Express (which I am told is for most applications is as functional as the full version of Studio.Net, but as my PC has gone down I have yet to test this.). Java is a language I am also very interested in, though I do not insist on it as such.

I'm wondering whether you are limited only to programming languages, or do you also want to learn something else. I too wanted to learn as many programming languages as possible (and I still do), and then I found out about VHDL. It's not really a programming language, but it's very much like one. Instead of creating programs or scripts, it is used for the design of digital circuitry. Xilinx has made an excellent enviroment, synthesist and simulator for this language, so you can actually see the electrical scheme of your circuit, and simulate its work without printing it in silicon. As yourself (as I see in other threads), I too am into Artificial Intelligence, and I found knowing VHDL to be of very much use in this area.

You can find Xilinx' web site at: http://www.xilinx.com/

They have an old version of their software for free somewhere on their site, but I think it's only for students of engineering. The version I have is "Xilinx ISE 7.1i". If you're interested...

Yes, as I intend to major in Electronics, I think t4hat VHDL would be very useful. I will look further into it through the link provided right now. And if it he,ps in my future study of AI, well that will be great. A bonus is that it works with Linux, which is great for a fan of Linux.

Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Prometheus98876