Objectivism Online Forum

Mixed Feelings On The Godfather Series?

Rate this topic

Hey,

Bought The Godfather DVD box set the other day. Prior to this I had never seen any of the movies. I sat down and watched one each night and was suitably impressed (especially 1 and 2).

I do have to say I felt an ethical struggle throughout. I found moments such as Vito Corleone's journey and establishment in America (part 2 flashbacks) quite inspirational, on the other hand there seemed to always be lurking a terrible sense of life throughout parts of the film. Did anyone else struggle with this throughout these movies?

I found strongly masculine representation of the main male characters very refreshing, I think this is happening less and less in movies.

Any thoughts from people here on these films?

- David

I think The Godfather Part I is one of the best movies ever made. The directing, writing and acting are all brilliant. In terms of messages sent, I agree that there is some good and some bad. They seem to imply that Don Corleone has a leg up because he is rational, he thinks clearly when he makes decisions, and his own story is an individualist success story of a man starting fresh in the land of opportunity and becoming a success. On the other hand, their "family business" is one based on criminal acts such as murder and extortion, so that is obviously not something that should be glorified. Part two was also very good, but I consider one a cinematic masterpiece.