Objectivism Online Forum

New Zealand - What Is Notable About It?

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

Well I live in Tauranga, New Zealand and I think what is notable about New Zealand is that despite an entrenched, yet completely unwarranted welfare state mentality most Kiwis actually accept that the free market is good when it is explained to them how government intervention stuffs them up.

• 2 weeks later...

On matters lower on the philosophical hierarchy, New Zealand has the University of Auckland, a University that has produced a considerable number of achievements in Computational Integer Programming, an important aspect of Operations Research. International Conferences worthy of note are sometimes held there.

Edmund Hillary, the first person to climb Mount Everest, also hails from New Zealand. He is honored with his achievement by being placed on the New Zealand five dollar note.

• 1 month later...

Well bad news! The NZ Parliament just passed a law to retrospectively legalize the illegal election spending of the winning party. They stole taxpayer's money to fund their pledge cards, a part of their election campaign, and now they have made it illegal. But it gets worse. That same party also wants to pass 2 laws that will curtail free speech. One will forbid third parties from criticizing the government during the election. The other will strip away the tax free status of charities that are "too politically involved". This is clearly aimed at the Exclusive Brethren who ran a leaflet campaign during the 2005 election to get the National party in power. Clearly the current party that won, Labour, wants to stop National, their main rival who in the 2005 election got very close to Labour for the first time in ages, from having that support.

The Labour party has been in power for 7 years now and is clear that they are being corrupt, drunk from power, and think they are invincible. Their leader even said in 2005 that "the state is sovereign". So much for NZ being a Western liberal democracy as it is supposed to be. Labour is currently running a dictatorship. They can't even earn an election. They have to cheat then legalize that cheating. Then they curtail free speech. The Prime Minister, Helen Clark, is beginning to act like the Red Queen from Alice and Wonderland. She has been saying "off with their heads!" a lot. Not in a literal sense. In a metaphorical sense. As in "off with their political heads" and "off with their free speech heads".

On matters lower on the philosophical hierarchy, New Zealand has the University of Auckland, a University that has produced a considerable number of achievements in Computational Integer Programming, an important aspect of Operations Research. International Conferences worthy of note are sometimes held there.

Edmund Hillary, the first person to climb Mount Everest, also hails from New Zealand. He is honored with his achievement by being placed on the New Zealand five dollar note.

Yes, Auckland University does have a very good Computer Science department from what I have heard. And in many other ways it excels too. It recently done some rather interesting work on brain-mapping for instance that seemed quite interesting.

Yeap that he is, although he has some mixed premises that one..he seems to be abit of a collectivist, although I dont really pay much attention to him these days.

When I think of New Zealand, I think of their great Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough region, on the north tip of the south island. Particularly the Matua Paretai Sauvignon Blanc 2004 or 2005.

if anyone else has had Sauv. Blanc from Marlborough, i'd be curious to know if you agree with me that it's the best Sauv. Blanc in the world (or at least ONE of the best). (And usually under $20.)

When I think of New Zealand, I think of their great Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough region, on the north tip of the south island. Particularly the Matua Paretai Sauvignon Blanc 2004 or 2005.

if anyone else has had Sauv. Blanc from Marlborough, i'd be curious to know if you agree with me that it's the best Sauv. Blanc in the world (or at least ONE of the best). (And usually under $20.)

I wouldn't know about our wine. Wine doesn't agree with my taste buds. But i do think we have some good beers.

Mmmmmm Hmmmmmm! When I was in NZ, I loved the wine tasting. At the wineries I went to north of Auckland, they would bring out a tray of 6 or so samples for each person and seat everyone at a table, rather than continually pouring into one glass at a counter like we do in the states. NZ has some of the best whites I ever had. I am not a big white wine fan, but I had the best semillon/chardonnay in NZ that I have ever had.

Mmmmmm Hmmmmmm! When I was in NZ, I loved the wine tasting. At the wineries I went to north of Auckland, they would bring out a tray of 6 or so samples for each person and seat everyone at a table, rather than continually pouring into one glass at a counter like we do in the states. NZ has some of the best whites I ever had. I am not a big white wine fan, but I had the best semillon/chardonnay in NZ that I have ever had.

Wow, that is cool. Wish I could enjoy the taste of wine as that sounds fun. Lol, in this respect you know more about my country than me. Grin. :-)

• 4 years later...

No it doesnt *have* to be. Look at the facts : A *major* which is worse t han almost anything likely to happen here and *nobody* died as a result of nuclear related complications (well , maybe a couple of folk according to some reports). Despite the public misinformation, nuclear reactors are *built* to make it virtually impossible for nuclear fallout situations to happen. Alright, there was some concern in the case of the Japanese reactors, but it was grossly blown out of proportion by the media : http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/07/23/nuclear-power-is-extremely-safe-thats-truth-about-what-learned-from-japan/.

Even if Christchurch had of had a nuclear power station, it would have been virtually impossible for a fallout sitution to occur. Get the picture?

Thats the same article I linkede to :P

Seriously though : Even in NZ with all its earthquakes, you would more likely to have your toaster start a fire, burn your house down and kill you in your sleep, than to die a result of nuclear fallout.

Edited by Prometheus98876

• 4 years later...

I know next to nothing about NZ first hand, but it currently occupies third position on the Heritage Foundation's Economic Freedom Index. I've grown to trust that index. They do a good job quantifying economic freedom.

On 7/31/2011 at 3:26 AM, Oooze81 said:

Just adding something in here, NZ has to be anti-nuclear for a reason. Look at the recent earthquake. No toxic fallout. Now look at Japan. Get the picture?

The picture is that there was no toxic fallout in Japan either. Literally: there were no cases of deaths or illness due to the Fukushima flooding. There were a lot of displaced families though, due to government over-reaction (forced evacuation from areas that are in fact harmless).

Edited by Nicky