Objectivism Online Forum

Prince

Rate this topic

Since we've already had a thread dealing with Billy Joel, I thought I'd mention another artist who I love, Prince. I bring him up because I've found that he has quite a diverse following, and wanted to see if any other Objectivists enjoy his music. I realize that this is an issue of taste, so no hard feelings if you dislike him.

Here's some of my favorite songs by him (first three are my absolute favorites:

Purple Rain

Little Red Corvette

The Beautiful Ones

I Wanna Be Your Lover

When Doves Cry

Raspberry Beret

Erotic City

Kiss

Cream

He's also written two songs which I like, "Nothing Compares 2 U" performed by Sinead O'Connor (which I personally think is fantastic) and "Manic Monday" performed by the Bangles (which is just a good, fun song).

...I thought I'd mention another artist who I love, Prince.

I also value some of Prince's music. I have serious reservations though.

Sometimes he is explicitly 'religious' or even 'mystic' in his lyrical content. Sometimes he is explicitly vulgar in his lyrics & stage performance. After hip-hop & rap started getting big, Prince started including raps in some of his material. Why?! :) He has such a beautiful voice when he sings, listen to "Kiss", "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World", "The Beautiful Ones", etc.)

Having gotten that out of the way...he can at times be one of the most amazing, talented, singer, songwriter, performer, artists in modern pop music.

Another similar artist, whose work I love, but also have reservations about, is Terence Trent D'arby (who is now Sananda Maitreya - ??? :huh: go figure ...click here for site). His first few albums have great pop/R & B material (i.e. Introducing the Hardline According to TTD on TowerRecords).

I also value some of Prince's music.  I have serious reservations though.

Sometimes he is explicitly 'religious' or even 'mystic' in his lyrical content.  Sometimes he is explicitly vulgar in his lyrics & stage performance.  After hip-hop & rap started getting big, Prince started including raps in some of his material.  Why?!  :dough:  He has such a beautiful voice when he sings, listen to "Kiss", "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World", "The Beautiful Ones", etc.)

Having gotten that out of the way...he can at times be one of the most amazing, talented, singer, songwriter, performer, artists in modern pop music.

Christopher,

I agree with you entirely, especially about your reservations. I saw Prince last year when he came to Sacramento, and his performance was stellar. My wife has told me that this was the last concert that he would ever perform his "older" material due to his conversion to the Christian sect of Jehovah's Witnesses. Too bad.

Also, thanks for bringing up "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" - another great song which I forgot to mention. :P

Another similar artist, whose work I love, but also have reservations about, is Terence Trent D'arby (who is now Sananda Maitreya - ???  :huh:  go figure ...click here for site).  His first few albums have great pop/R & B material (i.e. Introducing the Hardline According to TTD on TowerRecords).

I only know D'arby through his biggest hit, "Wishing Well", which I thought was pretty good. Any other recommendations (songs or albums) from his work?

I saw Prince last year when he came to Sacramento, and his performance was stellar.

Excellent! He is one hell of a live entertainer.

I only know D'arby through his biggest hit, "Wishing Well", which I thought was pretty good.  Any other recommendations (songs or albums) from his work?

If you liked "Wishing Well" I can easily recommend the entire "Hardline" disc. Man, that guy can sing.

• 1 month later...

Regrettably I wasn't here when this thread was originally made but I just have to drag this old thread up. I'm just extremely excited that there are other Objectivists who listen to Prince. I also have to agree with your choice of songs, but I would also have to throw in "Get Off" and "Diamonds and Pearls"

After hip-hop & rap started getting big, Prince started including raps in some of his material. Why?!

Because he's a great rapper that's why! I haven't heard anybody flow like him since A Tribe Called Quest broke up.