Objectivism Online Forum

Did the KGB or other Soviet agency keep a file on Ayn Rand/Alisa Rosenbaum? Has any such file been found in the USSR gov't archives?

Rate this topic

The Laws of Biology

Given that Ayn Rand/Alisa Rosenbaum was a Russian emigre who became very famous in the U.S. for denouncing the political philosophy of the government of the USSR, it sure seems like the government of the USSR would have tracked her actvities, at the very least. 

Edited by The Laws of Biology
Clarification

I'm doubtful that it could be validated. We could guess maybe. I mean, it really depends on how extensively the USSR bothered to spy on specific individuals in the US. But I don't see an advantage of them doing so, except as a tool of propaganda whenever possible. Defectors of the Communist Party were likely tracked, but since Rand was so young when she left Russia, and she was never trying to be part of the Communist Party, I doubt they would have done anything. It's not like they could blackmail her. If she wrote in her native Russian, and had specific followers in the USSR, I think that would have changed things.