Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivism In Tv Shows

Rate this topic

The most positive reference that I have seen was in the second episode of the first season of One Tree Hill. The main character says the entire ..."do not let your fire go out"... quote and is given a copy of Atlas Shrugged by a friend.

That's interesting given that the dad in

is the director of the new Atlas Shrugged movie.

What actually got me interested again in Rand (after reading TF in college with little effect) was a reference in 7th Heaven (my ex liked that show, despite the heavy religious tone).

Edited by brian0918

In several crime shows I've watched, I've seen writers take potshots at Ayn Rand by associating her books with the criminal. In an episode of Numb3rs, this murderous leader of a promiscuous cult of brainwashed women (if I recall correctly) is said to have read Ayn Rand and Friedrich Nietzche while in prison. They don't give any explanation as to why that is relevant, they just say it while going over his profile, as if that alone fully explains his actions, and all of the characters accept it as such.

• 3 weeks later...

What actually got me interested again in Rand (after reading TF in college with little effect) was a reference in 7th Heaven (my ex liked that show, despite the heavy religious tone).

Huh. Do you recall the 7th Heaven Rand reference? Would be curious to know what it was given that being a religious show I'd be surprised if it was positive.

Huh. Do you recall the 7th Heaven Rand reference? Would be curious to know what it was given that being a religious show I'd be surprised if it was positive.

I tried finding it again but couldn't. It was a positive reference. I only remember because my ex hated the fact that it was her show that got me interested in the philosophy.