Objectivism Online Forum

Domestic Flight / Real ID

Rate this topic

tadmjones

During the national shutdown, I had to renew  my drivers' licenses and the option of choice if not the only option at the time was to use the interwebs. Having used the web previously for renewing other state documents I was familiar with additional screens in the process that ask for extra services for an additional fee, I normally just decline and proceed to the next screen , well my bad for not reading all the words as one of the choices was to file for a "REAL ID", but I bypassed the option without realizing.

Apparently I now am not allowed to travel by airplane and I assume that is for domestic flights as well as international. I suppose I have a 'legal ID' in that I can use my drivers' license as a form of identification , but no travel visa for boarding an aircraft. I'm not on the Yes You Can Fly list.

1 hour ago, tadmjones said:

well my bad for not reading all the words

Well yeah, that's how legal documents work. It's not cool to trivialize a serious issue (escaping the USSR) by suggesting your stupid mistake (not bothering to read) is at all comparable. 

8 minutes ago, Eiuol said:

Well yeah, that's how legal documents work. It's not cool to trivialize a serious issue (escaping the USSR) by suggesting your stupid mistake (not bothering to read) is at all comparable. 

I didn't intend to trivialize. I'm beginning to see how important state documents are , I'm neglecting to stay free to enjoy commercial airline services , my bad.

20 hours ago, tadmjones said:

Yeah, but remember when you could walk up to an airline ticket counter and buy a ticket , those were the days , huh?

It's ok, it's just a license to travel. And you were stupid.

When there are licenses for speech and more, remember not to be stupid.

Edited by Jon Letendre

16 minutes ago, dream_weaver said:

Heaven forbid you need a license to drive a vehicle. 

Many encroachments by the state are brought about by a failure to be able to make legitimate causal connections.

Not to drive a vehicle, Greg. Try to catch up.

10 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

Not to drive a vehicle, Greg. 

Cute. Passport driver's licenses have been available for a few years in Michigan, facilitating travel abroad to Canada. Granted, it is not an exit visa from the Soviet Union, but it still involves international travel.

Edited by dream_weaver

20 minutes ago, dream_weaver said:

Cute. Passport driver's licenses have been available for a few years in Michigan, facilitating travel abroad to Canada.

Not passport, either. Tad says he can't board domestic flights.

No boarding any flights in AZ without a "travel ID": Don't Get Grounded: Arizonans will need new travel ID to fly starting October 2020 (fox10phoenix.com)

Are sudden, total eviscerations of rights the only path to tyranny, or can gradual encroachments lead to the same end?

Edited by Jon Letendre

My bad. Recollecting need for passport for emergency medical evacuation from Bahamas. That combined with this thread being split from another thead dealing with History, discussing the challenges surrounding an exit visa from the Soviet Union...

(Topic split from 

)

58 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Not passport, either. Tad says he can't board domestic flights.

No boarding any flights in AZ without a "travel ID": Don't Get Grounded: Arizonans will need new travel ID to fly starting October 2020 (fox10phoenix.com)

Are sudden, total eviscerations of rights the only path to tyranny, or can gradual encroachments lead to the same end?

There's been a reprieve :

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

My method of travel is train if I don't want to drive. Any of these suffice for Amtrak: 

• State or provincial driver's license
  • Passport
  • Official government-issued identification (federal, state, city or county government or foreign government)
  • Canadian provincial health card ID card with photo
  • Military photo ID
  • Student identification (university, college or high school photo ID)
  • Job Corps photo ID
Edited by Boydstun

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, tadmjones said:

There's been a reprieve :

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

Looks like it has been extended again, from May 3, 2023 to May 7, 2025.  See same link as before, or

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2022/12/05/dhs-announces-extension-real-id-full-enforcement-deadline

Edited by Dupin