Objectivism Online Forum

Musicians? Poets? Teens?

Rate this topic

I registered an account here last year, but haven't been on in quite a while. As I continue to find more personal meaning in my life's philosophy, I seek to find and talk to other people who hold the same values that I do. I'm a musician/poet, so I'm especially eager to meet people who are artists, such as myself, in order to talk to them about how their philosophy is reflected in their art. I'm also eager to talk to other people my age (i'm seventeen) to talk about how objectivist philosophy affects, to see how similar or different they're experiences are with mine. So, basically, I just want to talk! My AIM screen name is Audiophilism and my e-mail is [email protected]. I hope to get more active in the forums here.

I'm 16 (17 on Aug 27) and am also a musician who's favorite genre of music is fusion. I play guitar, bass, drum kit, and trumpet. My goal in life is to become a professional musician.

Thats awesome! You recognize my avatar?

EDIT: Saw your response in the we the living thread, so nevermind the question. You really think Mahavishnu is superior? I love Inner Mounting Flame, but the rest of their material just doesn't seem as strong. Also, if you like fusion, you might really enjoy progressive rock as well... a somewhat different but related style of music being made at the same time. In my opinion, the most romantic (in the philosophical sense) contemporary music ever made. Epic stories, highly talented playing, musical complexity... really pushing rock music as a form of art to its limits. If you like Mahavishnu and RTF, you might like Yes and Rush. Rush's 1976 album, "2112", has a twenty minute long epic length piece (called 2112) based on... drum roll please... Anthem by Ayn Rand! Sorry if you already know this.

Any Rush fans here? I'm sort of expecting that there may be a lot. For those of you who don't know, Rush's drummer, Neil Peart, is a fan of AR and since he wrote all of the lyrics for the group's songs, there are many objectivist lyrics in their repotoire. For those interested, I'd suggest getting 2112 (1976), Hemispheres (1978), and/or Permanent Waves (1980).

Edited by Romantic Warrior

I love prog rock as well. I have almost all of the albums by Rush and 2112 has got to be one of my favorites! Although the ode to weed (Passage to Bangkok) doesn't really seem to fit in the album.

Yes is my favorite prog band. Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer are my favorite albums from them.

Thats awesome! You recognize my avatar?

EDIT: Saw your response in the we the living thread, so nevermind the question. You really think Mahavishnu is superior? I love Inner Mounting Flame, but the rest of their material just doesn't seem as strong. Also, if you like fusion, you might really enjoy progressive rock as well... a somewhat different but related style of music being made at the same time. In my opinion, the most romantic (in the philosophical sense) contemporary music ever made. Epic stories, highly talented playing, musical complexity... really pushing rock music as a form of art to its limits. If you like Mahavishnu and RTF, you might like Yes and Rush. Rush's 1976 album, "2112", has a twenty minute long epic length piece (called 2112) based on... drum roll please... Anthem by Ayn Rand! Sorry if you already know this.

Any Rush fans here? I'm sort of expecting that there may be a lot. For those of you who don't know, Rush's drummer, Neil Peart, is a fan of AR and since he wrote all of the lyrics for the group's songs, there are many objectivist lyrics in their repotoire. For those interested, I'd suggest getting 2112 (1976), Hemispheres (1978), and/or Permanent Waves (1980).

Yep, I am a huge Rush fan. My favorite song is Cygnus X-1 (both books) and my favorite album is probably Hemispheres. Rush was actually my introduction into Objectivism. I'm pretty new here too and have only posted once or twice. Welcome to the forum.

Hey there, I'm new too, and a teen (18). I'm an artist of a different sort, i love photography and writing short stories and other prose. My ideal of art (roughly based) on AR's fiction writing is the same, in that is should show a coherent, challenging and heroic tale told as it should be, and the philosophy of the whole intertwined to create a depth not easily found nowadays. I believe in art that shows through example how life should be, not how it is.

[edit for silly spelling mistake]

Edited by GoodShow

Drummer/percussionist/musician here. HUGE Rush fan. All the albums, much memorabilia. I love Yes, King Crimson (Cat Food is my favorite song of theirs), Coheed and Cambria, Tool. I think the only my philosophy has been incorporated into my music is that I'm pushing for the music to be more complex and challenging, along with the lyrics (which I'd rather not be doing lyrics about love). I'm definitely inspired by Neil Peart's lyric writing. Man, he can put words together like no one else. Him and Paul Simon.