Objectivism Online Forum

The Woman Thread

Rate this topic

Groovenstein

It's not a trick. its a prototypic face for female attractiveness. It comes from an experiment where they research features of beauty and alter some features with computers. It really doesnt change too much you can see it here:

link

Edited by fountainhead777

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to bring that back! Wearing a cape that is. I've been trying to bring back the whole "wear a jacket like a cape" thing because I've found it to be quite comfortable, but I think a modern, stylish cape do the job just fine.

I've always thought it was cool. Personally, I like Rand's sense of style. I'm not big into the whole black thing, but she was definitely original. Can you imagine a public personality, best selling author, and popular lecturer today, who wore this?:

aynrand80.jpg

I also want to add the woman in the painting, "October Eve". Gorgeous, absolutlely gorgeous on every level:

cigarette.jpg

• 1 month later...
I'm not gonna lie, I do find her attractive in that sort of dark way. I know she's not the most physically attractive person to walk the Earth, but something about her that's beautiful.

That's at the very least because the footage and photographs of her are almost always from the latter part of her life, I would suppose. I remember watching this when I was 18, and not thinking once about it, but now at 30 I'm kinda like hmmm:

Look at her piercing eyes in this interview (the early Mike Wallace interview) as she rips the guy to shreds for basically having her on the show to ridicule her on national TV. Growl.

I have it in for redheads. My girlfriend is one; I also adore Allyson Hannigan and ... whoever the redhead was from That 70's Show. And from the older crowd, Julianne Moore is still yummy.

The most perfect product of Hollywood will always be Audrey Hepburn, that being said. Perfect delicate face + perfect eyes + generally joyous casting and behavior = perfect beauty.

I also want to add the woman in the painting, "October Eve". Gorgeous, absolutlely gorgeous on every level:

cigarette.jpg

"The figure presents a casual, graceful and beautiful vision of mankind, perfectly comfortable in her surroundings. Between her fingers is the very symbol of man's conquest of his environment: the contained and controlled force of fire directed to a specific, useful function—one of pure human pleasure.

Damon-A. H. Denys

It kinda bugs me that the guy chose to sign his own name under the sentence I quoted, on this page, under a picture of his painting, which is up for sale. I'm not sure if it's an exact quote from AS, but it clearly is borrowed from there.

The painting is great though: the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

Is she the one from Nightwish?

Yes she is, though no longer. She was the best thing from Nightwish. A pretty Finish girl.

Here she is singing The Phantom of The Opera with Nightwish.

What is evident is that the guy can't sing the song, which requires great range. It's not that he botched it, it's just that he can't do it, while she is brilliant.

Edited by Thales

• 3 weeks later...
cigarette.jpg

Granted, I'm not a guy, but I just don't get what you guys are seeing in this painting. :lol:

There is almost nothing I like about it...her outfit is lame, she probably smells like an ashtray and her kisses probably taste foul too. The cigarette really ruins it for me, but I don't find anything else particularly pleasing either. (Some of the older Hollywood glamour style pictures of actors and actresses with cigarettes still look nice, but they didn't know all we know now, so in context, it doesn't bother me so much.) At any rate, I think this girl looks like a stereotypical, insecure, American young female. Sorry, I tried to find the good in it, I just can't. :)

I would prefer something like the following as a painting of a figure representing a casual, graceful and beautiful vision of mankind, perfectly comfortable in her surroundings. Beneath her body is the very symbol of man's conquest of his environment: the contained and controlled force of propulsion directed to a specific, useful function—one of pure human pleasure.

vettrianogirlonbikeik9.jpg

wenn2049074__oPt.jpg

And again with this one...sense of style?! I can go for a kinda different, funky sense of style (think Gwen Stefani, see below) but this woman's wig is awful, much less her strange 80s style outfit. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference or men really are from Mars and women from Venus. :P

gwenstefaniiy7.jpg

gwenstefani2vp0.jpg

gwenstefani3lr7.jpg

Granted, I'm not a guy, but I just don't get what you guys are seeing in this painting. :lol:

There is almost nothing I like about it... ...At any rate, I think this girl looks like a stereotypical, insecure, American young female. Sorry, I tried to find the good in it, I just can't. :lol:

Agreed. She also seems to have a contrived aloofness, which is a huge turnoff to me. She reminds me of girls I knew in high school & college who wasted their minds on cynicism. At a lower level, she has a good body shape, and a nice neck & jaw line, but the artist's representation of her has an unnatural feel. It doesn't look like a comfortable or relaxed posed, though I think it was meant to be.

There is almost nothing I like about it...her outfit is lame, she probably smells like an ashtray and her kisses probably taste foul too. The cigarette really ruins it for me, but I don't find anything else particularly pleasing either. (Some of the older Hollywood glamour style pictures of actors and actresses with cigarettes still look nice, but they didn't know all we know now, so in context, it doesn't bother me so much.) At any rate, I think this girl looks like a stereotypical, insecure, American young female. Sorry, I tried to find the good in it, I just can't. :confused:
My thoughts were the same, for basically the same reasons. Furthermore, the composition is cheesy. Why are there randomly skyscrapers there?

"The figure presents a casual, graceful and beautiful vision of mankind, perfectly comfortable in her surroundings. Between her fingers is the very symbol of man's conquest of his environment: the contained and controlled force of fire directed to a specific, useful function—one of pure human pleasure.

Damon-A. H. Denys

It kinda bugs me that the guy chose to sign his own name under the sentence I quoted, on this page, under a picture of his painting, which is up for sale. I'm not sure if it's an exact quote from AS, but it clearly is borrowed from there.

The painting is great though: the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Be bugged no more. That quote by Mr. Denys describing his beautiful painting has been on our web site for at least 8 years along with the rest of the description of "October Eve." Indeed there is some "Atlas Shrugged" influence there, as well as in much of the art that we represent, but the painting and the quote are all his. :pimp: