Objectivism Online Forum

The Woman Thread

Rate this topic

Groovenstein

Be bugged no more. That quote by Mr. Denys describing his beautiful painting has been on our web site for at least 8 years along with the rest of the description of "October Eve." Indeed there is some "Atlas Shrugged" influence there, as well as in much of the art that we represent, but the painting and the quote are all his. :pimp:

Yeah, I tried looking for that description of a cigarette as "a symbol of the controlled force of fire" in Atlas Shrugged, but I can't find it. so I take back the whole thing.

While I know I've read that before, it could've been anywhere, even on the same website, and I forgot about visiting it before. I did not mean to lie, I was sure that I read it in AS, but I obviously made a mistake, so I apologize. I should've looked it up before I posted about it.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I tried looking for that description of a cigarette as "a symbol of the controlled force of fire" in Atlas Shrugged, but I can't find it. so I take back the whole thing.

While I know I've read that before, it could've been anywhere, even on the same website, and I forgot about visiting it before. I did not mean to lie, I was sure that I read it in AS, but I obviously made a mistake, so I apologize. I should've looked it up before I posted about it.

This is probably what you were thinking of; there is some similarity. Oddly enough, I have the quote, and I know Ayn Rand said it, but I don't know where it came from. :confused:

"I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind--and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

All right, then my apology was premature. I guess everyone can decide for themselves, but to me it is the same brilliant device, with different words. (Denys basically left out the two metaphores in the Rand quote, and wrote "the symbol of" instead of "its expression". He also added the part about the fire's purpose being human pleasure-which, besides stating the obvious, also disturbs the purpose of the whole idea: the symbolism) I shall remain slightly bugged, especially since the Rand quote is better :confused:

He should've used it, named the source and that would've been that.

• 2 months later...
Guest Erik Martinsen

To the best of my knowledge, there's nobody more beautiful than Summer Glau – she's the embodiment of gracefulness. She's a damn fine actress as well, so I thoroughly enjoy her characters. Judging by what I've seen of her, she's a very logical, rational and intelligent person as well. I hope to see her in a romantic masterpiece one day. In any case, enjoy the image.

summerglau9.jpg

Oh, on-topic...

15578__08batmanr_l.jpg

When I see women dressed up with antlers, rabbit ears, cotton tails, cat suits, I always think of Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale quote, that can apply to various animal parts put on a woman:

Girls dressed for easter, in rabbit suits. What is the significance of it here, why are rabbits supposed to be sexually attractive to men?
Edited by intellectualammo

When I see women dressed up with antlers, rabbit ears, cotton tails, cat suits, I always think of Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale quote, that can apply to various animal parts put on a woman:

When have you seen women dressed up with antlers? :o

Maybe now it reminds men of Playboy Bunnies? Or was it popular/sexually attractive before then?? :confused:

No idea. I don't have such a sexual attraction but I just looked on Wiki about said bunnies and now I know that they are different from the Playmates, for the Bunnies were/are? waitresses at Playboy Clubs. But this is what I found there at the Wiki entry, which just re-emphasizes your question:

Bunnies wore a costume called a "bunny suit" inspired by the tuxedo-wearing Playboy rabbit mascot, consisting of a corset, bunny ears, a collar, cuffs and a fluffy cottontail.

But again, why a rabbit mascot, and the bunnies? What is it that is sexually alluring about sticking, attaching, placing animal parts on a woman? Fur and skins, like coats, pants, that's different than ears, tails, antlers. One isn't pretending to be a cow when wearing leather, but placing antlers on your head, looks more like you are invoking "reindeer" on viewers. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the figurative aspect of it way way way more than the actual physical (or "sexual") aspect of it, like the symbolism, imagery associated with animals (goats/sheep, lions/lionesses). I don't have pets, don't want any - they can be so annoying, when eating, they're begging/whining for some too and when relaxing you have to get up to tend to their bowel movements/functions when they want out, or clean up when they do it there on the floor, barking, on and on. I don't even want to pet them, be around them, go see them in zoos, but I don't hate them, though. I should stop here and not fray up this thread, it's just that Atwood quote really stuck in my head. But I'm done thinking of this already, for I just opened a bottle of water, which reminds me of Thoreau now. :)

Edited by intellectualammo

I think it's about the asociations some make. The bunnies could for example be regarded as cute and playful, while also being sexy. A catwoman outfit is a bit more on the dark and wicked side of sexy, and antlers.... well, I have no idea. :confused:

I can't say for sure though, as I really don't find such outfits that attractive.

Guest Erik Martinsen
BetterOffTed3.jpg

Veronica (played by Portia de Rossi) from Better Off Ted. Sanjavalen introduced me to her the other day. I'm in love. :)

I've been watching that show, and couldn't agree more – she's a pretty irresistible character, and makes some amusing quotes as well, such as: "This isn't about race, it's about money. It's always about money. "Money before people", that's the company motto. Engraved right there on the lobby floor. Just looks more heroic in latin."

After reading about the plot of this tv-series, I expected it to be a leftist show with a political agenda, demonizing big corporations, evil businessmen and the profit motive. It actually does all those things to some extent, but in a very tasteful and humorous way, which makes it clear that it isn't to be taken seriously.

In any case, I'd fight Ellen.

I've been watching that show, and couldn't agree more – she's a pretty irresistible character, and makes some amusing quotes as well, such as: "This isn't about race, it's about money. It's always about money. "Money before people", that's the company motto. Engraved right there on the lobby floor. Just looks more heroic in latin."

After reading about the plot of this tv-series, I expected it to be a leftist show with a political agenda, demonizing big corporations, evil businessmen and the profit motive. It actually does all those things to some extent, but in a very tasteful and humorous way, which makes it clear that it isn't to be taken seriously.

In any case, I'd fight Ellen.

Amen to that.

There is a girl I work with who I seriously think might be the most attractive woman I've seen in my life. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, because I don't want her to think I'm stalking her, but it takes every ounce of willpower not to stare at her with my mouth open.

The one problem: she has major hot chick syndrome. As in, she knows she looks good and is not very friendly as a result. I had a friend who once asked her a question about where something was, and her response was "I have a boyfriend." I guess I can't blame her...poor thing probably gets hit on 50 times a day.

There is a girl I work with who I seriously think might be the most attractive woman I've seen in my life. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, because I don't want her to think I'm stalking her, but it takes every ounce of willpower not to stare at her with my mouth open.

The one problem: she has major hot chick syndrome. As in, she knows she looks good and is not very friendly as a result. I had a friend who once asked her a question about where something was, and her response was "I have a boyfriend." I guess I can't blame her...poor thing probably gets hit on 50 times a day.

Try this on for size. What if that woman was someone you we're involved with and that you worked for her? Somedays, it's not so easy.

Edited by wjmgalt

I'm not sure that question makes grammatical sense. What are you trying to ask?

Well let me be less discursive, and my newbie offered apologies as well. Imagine that suddenly she returned your interest, you two became an item, sureptitiously of course, and then you ended up with her being your boss. All I am saying is that the practical aspect of the matter is that office romance can be very difficult at times.

And yes, I know this first hand.... from a long time past, but still.

WJMG

Edited by wjmgalt

Oh, I'm not interested in any kind of relationship. She's not a very pleasant person, in part because she is incredibly stuck up. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy looking.

I love women who are stuck on themselves, if it's not a work environment, I like to walk up and say.. and what ever prompted you to wear those shoes today? LOL They have no idea what to do next.