Objectivism Online Forum

How To Lose A War

Rate this topic

AisA

One can only hope that the Air Force officer in this article -- LINK -- is not typical of the officers we have in Iraq (or anywhere else for that matter).

A young tech who runs a repair shop on a base which trains Iraqi Security, wrote in his milblog that, while watching a group being taught exercises, he wondered if it was right to try to change how Iraqi Joe exercised. After all, didn't these people already have a routine? Who are we to come in and try to change it?

I have been appalled by how much we have been disarmed. We pay out multi-millions for the arming and training of our people, but we've sabotaged the greatest weapon, the mind of our people.

I don't know what can be done to immediately change this. Our military is a mirror of the rest of the culture. All of these people have come out of government schools that taught them this claptrap. The same government then puts them in harms way, with all the latest technology of the best minds, but without any way to judge what is right and what is wrong; indeed, the only thing they are taught to believe is wrong is passing judgment on anything outside of themselves.

Edited by oldsalt

One can only hope that the Air Force officer in this article -- LINK -- is not typical of the officers we have in Iraq (or anywhere else for that matter).

The person who wrote that article, freelance journalist Steven Vincent, was apparently murdered two days ago. There is a report here.

I hadnt even heard of him before I read this thread, but based on his writing, I find this really sad :P

Edited by Hal