Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:'Dump Trump' Just Got (Even) Easier

Rate this topic

Via the Yaron Brook Show, I learned that Donald Trump dined with noted Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes, alongside the more famous nutcase formerly known as Kanye West.

Piers Morgan discusses the meeting at the New York Post, whose headline manages to sound like British tabloid sensationalism while actually being understatment: "The GOP must ditch anti-Semite embracer Trump -- or lose in 2024."

I have argued -- and now have three consecutive losing elections to back me up -- that the GOP was already going to be in trouble if Trump is its presidential nominee in '24.

But don't take my word for it. Democrats smell blood in the water.

After this, it should be easy for any prominent Republican who has sense, a modicum of a desire for political self-preservation, or an ounce of moral fiber -- all in short supply there these days, I know -- to denounce him and help that party move on.

Almost any halfway plausible candidate is better at this point.

Naturally, Trump tried to play dumb, as Morgan notes:
NF.jpg
Image by "Modern-Day Debate," via Wikimedia Commons, license.
"Kanye West very much wanted to visit Mar-a-Lago," he said in one of various statements he's put out desperately trying to protect himself from the mounting outrage over the meal. "Our dinner meeting was intended to be Kanye and me only, but he arrived with a guest whom I had never met and knew nothing about."

Oh, please.

Trump is guarded by a large Secret Service detail at Mar-a-Lago.

And I know how thorough they are about anyone who visits him, because in April this year, I interviewed Trump there and my whole crew was subjected to detailed checks before they arrived.

The agents will have quickly worked out exactly who Fuentes is, and his background, and briefed Trump. [bold added]
When I first heard of this meeting and Trump's explanation, I was flabbergasted: How careless or contemptuous of our intelligence can someone be? Does Trump not have someone to vet people he associates with?

I had forgotten that, as a former President, he has a Secret Service detail.

Set aside whether Trump is anti-Semitic and let's also, for the sake of argument, ignore the above and take Trump at his word: He should know based on the last election that he needs every ounce of support he can muster to win.

It follows that he should be very concerned about the kind of people he associates with, lest he inadvertently raise suspicions among the very people whose support he wants. Hell, if he were anti-Semitic, he'd want to hide the fact at least until he was elected.

So, is he (a) not possessed of enough sense to guard his own reputation, (b) truly this oblivious to easily-obtained information, or (c) as contemptuous of ordinary Americans (and so eager to curry the favor of the lunatic fringe) as this makes him look?

I think any of the above possibilities makes someone unfit for office, and it would take a very good explanation indeed to convince me that Trump really didn't know who this is or regard him as worthy of his time in some way.

One can only conclude that Trump is stupid, careless, bigoted, or kooky: Select any or all that apply, but know that any one of these renders him unfit to be President.

-- CAV

Link to Original