Objectivism Online Forum

Faith of the Fallen

Rate this topic

iouswuoibev

I once participated in a Terry Goodkind chat where Terry answered questions by proxy. I asked whether he could explain who the "Fallen" were in the title of his book, and what they were to have "faith" in. His response was that I could find the answer in the book (not very helpful, since I wouldn't be asking if I had found the answer in the book).

So does anyone have a good idea as to what the title "Faith of the Fallen" actually means?

Here's my understanding.

The story more or less centers around Nicci's (and that of the people Richard interacts with in the Old World) internal struggle with her moral code. In the end, she realized that she had taken her mom's teachings on faith, that she had not thought it through and just mindlessly accepted it. Thus, she was living a "fallen life," just like Jagag's ilk. So Richard's influence through his statue shook the foundation of that faith, and made her and others question the moral code.

I'm not completely sure, but off hand this is what makes most sense to me.

I believe it is referring to the fact that up until that point the people followed Richard Rahl out of faith and expected him to act as a God. He fled to the mountains because he realized that he could no longer do that for them, they would have to find it in themselves the reason to fight for their freedom without him. He later shows the collectivized masses in the city where he is held captice a statue that he meticulously crafted that provoked everyone that saw it to understand what it means to LIVE and be free, and thus they developed the desire for Life as individuals.

Its been awhile since I have read the books, but as this was my favorite I recall most of it reasonable well. I may be off, but that is my interpretation of the title as it relates to the content.

[Edit: clarified sentence]

Looks like Felipe beat me to a response, ah well. That is another reasonable explanation.

Edited by miedra

In my opinion, Richard is the fallen. hes been captured, taken away from everybody he knows and loves. he doesn't think he will ever see Kahlan or anybody again. however he holds fast to his values. his beliefs. and he stays true to himself. as a proud man in a city of mediocrity. he would rather die being a proud man, in making that statue of life. then live in a city that worships death. thats what i believe the title means.

I believe 'Fallen' may be used to describe the necessary conclusion of the moral code of the Old World. Mr. Goodkind has gone through great lengths to show the immense poverty, the sense of death and hopelessness that has gripped all who live there. Even amongst all of this the people still cling to the Orders philosophy; it is their faith that keeps them prisoner.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe 'Fallen' may be used to describe the necessary conclusion of the moral code of the Old World.  Mr. Goodkind has gone through great lengths to show the immense poverty, the sense of death and hopelessness that has gripped all who live there.  Even amongst all of this the people still cling to the Orders philosophy; it is their faith that keeps them prisoner.

Im going to go with Michelangelo on this one. I also beleive that the 'Fallen' are the people of the Old World or any that knowingly submit too such evil philosophies.

It is the unwillingness of the Fallen (and is this not a very accurate term for them?)

that allow the lies of the Order to drag them into a mire of death. It is their own choice not to think that puts a chain around their neck, a chain offered to them by the Order.

As Michelangelo points out, it is their faith that holds them. If they do not choose to hold rational beleifs, based on thought, what else do they have but to take someone elses beleifs on faith? And to those unwilling to think, the Orders philosophy could well seem pretty tempting...