Objectivism Online Forum

What Should You Discuss Before Marriage?

Rate this topic

Diana Hsieh points (link) to an example of dishonesty to a fiance. I agree with her comment that "The mind boggleoggleoggles."

What are the types of things you would expect your fiance to reveal to you before you're married, and what type of things are okay for them to keep to themselves? More generally, what are the types of things you think people ought to discuss before they get married? [All this assumes a typical situation where one has the time. Gotta get the caveat in:) ]

I think this question is pretty much covered by asking your partner "What does 'marriage' mean to you?"

The term largely goes undefined!

In other words, the most important thing to do before engaging in any contract is to state your premises.

I think this question is pretty much covered by asking your partner "What does 'marriage' mean to you?"

The term largely goes undefined!

That is a really good way to put it. It does depend on the precept of marriage.

If kids are anticipated, I think upbringing would be a good course of discussion. I'd be upset if I were to get married and find out five years later my spouse wanted to give the kids a "good" Catholic upbringing.

Marriage shows commitment by both people, and has social advantages. Above that, it's up to the individuals.

That article disturbs me, I meet people daily that could be capable of committing that fraud. It is definitely a symptom of a sick mind. Poor "Steve".

Edited by dtalton