Objectivism Online Forum

Dating Tips

Rate this topic

This is an odd way to start a thread. What exactly are you looking for? A description of how one prepares oneself specifically for dating as differentiated from _________?

If the blank is "life outside of dating", then my answer is "absolutely nothing". There is nothing one need consider or do differently in order to date as opposed to just being the happiest one can be in any context. If you do, you are deceiving your potential mate.

This is an odd way to start a thread.  What exactly are you looking for?  A description of how one prepares oneself specifically for dating as differentiated from _________?

If the blank is "life outside of dating", then my answer is "absolutely nothing".  There is nothing one need consider or do differently in order to date as opposed to just being the happiest one can be in any context.  If you do, you are deceiving your potential mate.

Felipe yelled at me, so let me explain this thread. I closed the previous "personal thread" for lack of interest, so I started this one.

Basically, this thread's purpose is to create a list of suggestions to the curious rational dater as to how to find a mate.

Some possible questions to be answered:

What should one look for in a mate?

What is the nature of sex?

Need one lower one's standards to find a mate, i.e. what are the essentials one should look for and non-essentials?

Etc.

Post your questions AND answers to these questions.

(BTY, these aren't my personal questions, but rather sample ones)

Edited by Free Thinker

Why do we need to resort to starting threads for which no one has a particular question or interest in at the moment? I could think up a million we could start for no particular reason. It doesn't make any sense.

Why do we need to resort to starting threads for which no one has a particular question or interest in at the moment?  I could think up a million we could start for no particular reason.  It doesn't make any sense.

I agree. However, the reason why I started this thread was because I said I would when I closed the "Personals" thread. The people posting on that thread began posting tips and such, and so I ended that thread and created this one.

I've been mulling over how proper relationships ought to go myself, since I just got out of a relationship with a Jewish communist. At first I was hesitant because of the obvious reasons: She believed in a god, and a state that would direct my personal and professional life. After almost a month I ended it for several reasons and I now realize that I should have heeded the warning signs. In my defense, however, I am a man and she practically... no, literally jumped on top of me.

So I figure that any contradiction in one of the two fundamental philosophical fields, metaphysics and epistemology, should entirely rule out a romantic relationship.

Now for the bigger question, mostly for the benefit of my gender: What to do once the appropriate female is in your sights?

Now for the bigger question, mostly for the benefit of my gender:  What to do once the appropriate female is in your sights?

Quite simple. If the appropriate female means one with no contradictions in metaphysics or epistemology, then you must know her very well by that point. Knowing her this well, you'll be able to let her know that you've also got no contradictions in that area, and also that that's what's important to you. If she holds the same as important, then she'll send an invitation your way you won't be able to miss.

By all means, go after her -- let her know that you value her ideas and thus you value her. But at the same time, you must give her the respect she deserves as an important individual. She must satisfy her own criteria that you are what she seeks. When she has decided, she'll let you know. :D

You mean the old trick, clubbing her and dragging her by the hair to your cave isn't a good strategy? Bah, if it was good enough for my old man it's good enough for me.

I was thinking more along the lines of dating tips, though. What to do and such. Movie and a dinner is nice, but it is a little unimaginative.

You mean the old trick, clubbing her and dragging her by the hair to your cave isn't a good strategy?  Bah, if it was good enough for my old man it's good enough for me.

I was thinking more along the lines of dating tips, though.  What to do and such.  Movie and a dinner is nice, but it is a little unimaginative.

FIRST , go here http://doubleyourdating.com/

You'll get a FREE newsletter once and a while, read it . .. it WILL convince you.

READ AND BUY everything this man writes, he's a genius.

Some things are philosophically wrong(very very few though) but with your knowledge of Objectivism You'll spot them.

And never take a girl out to a date, just give her a phone call and say that your going to some fun place(you choose, it doesn't matter as long as its interesting, museum, coffee shop, mall, book store, sex shop, whatever) And ask her if she wants to come, and act like if she doesn't come shes going ti miss out on lots of fun . . .which she will, right?

Edited by Al Kufr

You mean the old trick, clubbing her and dragging her by the hair to your cave isn't a good strategy?  Bah, if it was good enough for my old man it's good enough for me.

I was thinking more along the lines of dating tips, though.  What to do and such.  Movie and a dinner is nice, but it is a little unimaginative.

What to do is be yourself. Dont' do anything contrived or forced or rehearsed if it isn't you. If you're the sort of guy to take charge, come up with the ideas, make all the arrangements, and inform her when/where/how to dress, then do that. If you're the sort of guy to consult with her, find out what she likes, get her input, probe her for ideas... then do that. The whole purpose of dating is to show her what kind of person you are, and everything you do is information that feeds that conclusion.

If you don't act within your own character, then you are deceiving her and you'll pay the price later on.