Objectivism Online Forum

Anomalies In Sword Of Truth

Rate this topic

jrs

Essentially, Darken used the underworld to get "across" the boundary. During one of his trips he raped Zedd's daughter - but he didn't know who she was at the time - and then the rest is history."

intresting answer, is it backed up anywhere in the books?

as far as world mechanics and its laws its defently possible, although its yet another stretch

theres also the detail that when the bounries went up was the time zed cast his deathspell on his daughter, but i guess its possible that darken rahl raped her after the deathspell was in place, it actully helps explain why he didnt recognize her as zed's daughter.

but again its stretching things and leaving up alot for the fans to gap in their imagination

Why do you insist that it is such a stretch?

Zedd casts the Deathspell upon her during the events of Debt of Bones as I recall ( or soon after ). Darken Rahl would later rape her, though due to the Deathspell he had no idea who she was ( else he would have killed her ). As a result of this, Zedd and his daughter fled into the Westlands, raising another Barrier between the Westlands and the Midlands.

• 3 months later...
Why do you insist that it is such a stretch?

Zedd casts the Deathspell upon her during the events of Debt of Bones as I recall ( or soon after ). Darken Rahl would later rape her, though due to the Deathspell he had no idea who she was ( else he would have killed her ). As a result of this, Zedd and his daughter fled into the Westlands, raising another Barrier between the Westlands and the Midlands.

Hi guys.

I've actually been a mod and admin on Terry's site for a few years and I have become good friends with him.

If anyone has any questions I'm more then happy to help out - though I can't in a lot of cases speak on behalf of Terry, I would hope that I can clear up and issues you may have.

Regarding Zedd's daughter etc this is what happened:

1. During Debt of Bones, zedd's daughter was caputred. When she was saved Zedd put the deathspell on her. She would have been about 5 I think.

2. Zedd then put up the boundary between Midlands and D'hara, in the process sending the wizards fire (touched by the boundary/underworld) through to kill Panis Rahl and hurt Darken Rahl.

3. Zedd gave orders that anyone that didn't want to live in a world of magic should move to westland, and in the spring he would place a second boundary between westland and the Midlands (at most this would have been a year)

4. Years later, Darken Rahl having mastered the art of travelling the underworld, on one of his trips to the midlands found Zedd's daughter (without knowing it was her because of the deathspell) and raped her.

5. Zedd's daughter fell pregnant because of the Rape but this is not the reason Zedd fled to Westland.

6. Zedd only fled to Westland after the midland council took the power from him to name a seeker. He left them to their own devices so to speak.

Regarding Nathan and the gifted heir:

It does not say that ONLY ONE gifted heir is ever born. It does say that AT LEAST ONE gifted heir is born. So while Nathan was the first born gifted heir, his family must have had a second gifted heir.

Regarding Magic and no improvements etc:

Terry uses magic as a metaphor for numerous things. One is for Technology. The second is for individual talent etc.

Someone made the comment that there didn't seem to be much change between Richards time and Kolo's time (the time of the great war etc 3000 years prior). Thats because magic was dieing out. Terry was using it as a metaphor - if you lock away skill and talent and reason etc, then life becomes stagnant.

He explains this in more detail in Naked Empire with the bandakars. Their way of life was anti-reason and Richard made the comment that after 3000 years they were still living in huts.

• 4 weeks later...