Objectivism Online Forum

The Golden Mean, or All Things in Moderation

Rate this topic

AlexL

On 2/18/2023 at 12:31 AM, dream_weaver said:
On 2/17/2023 at 11:34 PM, AlexL said:

I think the moderator for Ukraine-related thread(s) should have NO special interest in the topic, should have no opinion, should be neutral.

My special interest in any topic I have interest in is to remain as objective as my knowledge and mental capacity allow me to. The notion of having no opinion and dispassionate neutrality flies in the face of what drew me to this philosophy.

I was referring to your role as moderator. You should be fair to them, whatever their opinions. Fair in applying the Guidelines (augmented with  specific rules of rational debate).

In my previous paragraph addressing the first paragraph of your quote, I couldn't tell you what informal logical fallacy the ideas of having "no special interest in the topic, should have no opinion, should be neutral" fall under.

Say it.

About my remark "The participants in the Ukraine thread should not be involved in the  moderation of this thread - conflict of interests.":

I can understand why a judge ought recuse himself from a case where a relative, spouse, close friend, or owns a financial holding in a company, for example.

Last I checked, that isn't what OO is about [...]

Imagine me, the moderator, giving @whYNOTa warning for the fact that he repeatedly refuses MY insistence to justify his claims of fact. This is a highly unhealthy situation. If the participants here were really objectivists, or simply rational, this situation would not occur. But this is not the case.

On as small a scale as is being operated on here, little short of calling in an outside arbitrator would seem to fit the criteria.

No need for an outside arbitrator. The problem is that you don't consider the above mentioned behavior of @whYNOTas irrational. Also, you don't you feel like moderating.

If you think whYNOT's being evasive, why engage with him? If you think someone is a troll, why feed a troll?

He and some others transform this - Objectivism! - forum in a mouthpiece of propaganda by a dictatorship.

You have an interest in resolving something you don't get in what is going on in the Russian/Ukrainian. Do you seek the answer from someone that isn't going to provide it, or spend your days bemoaning how they are not acting how you think they should act? Wouldn't that time be more objectively spent pursuing the answer your seeking in other places it might reside?

You are mistaken: I was not and I am not seeking answers about the Russian/Ukrainian conflict. I was only reacting to fakes posted here on this subjects. I have both the knowledge of the relevant facts and the values to evaluate them. I don't need help with that.

If you know an answer for certain and someone issues a falsehood, does that alter what you know? State the right answer, then it is there to point to and use for reference.

I posted a couple of contributions here. They needed effort to research, because I check every claim I make. None was interested. I offered to debunk some of falsehoods if someone is interested. None was.

Then my approach of asking for justification for claims posted here is the most productive one: easier for me and it signals to OO readers possible fakes.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:04 PM, dream_weaver said:
On 2/18/2023 at 8:42 PM, AlexL said:

I didn't say it is. I said: "potentially transforming this site in a propaganda outlet" And also "what if none will refute/disprove the claims"?

I did not claim that you did say that it was. What I said might be better expressed as:

Hmph! What kind of propaganda site would that turn out to be? Why bother? It's hardly worth the effort.

A pro-Putin propaganda site. I do bother. I explained why elsewhere. You don't seem to bother.

The referenced thread is replete with unanswered calls to justify the links to Russia Today. And if the messenger does not supply the onus of proof, that does not create a requirement to shift the onus to refuting and/or disproving the claim to someone else.

No, not to justify the links. To justify the claims in the liked propaganda articles. I also stressed that during a conflict/war the governmental sources of the conflicted parties should be avoided as sources for facts and evaluations. But @whYNOTand a few others link to Russia's governmental sources, or to people that work for them.

One should be aware that Russia spends billions for foreign propaganda and disinformation : in 2021 it is evaluated at 1.5 billion, for 2022 the indications are that it is substantially more. And this is only through the official outlets. There are also covert operations by agents of influence etc., a very old and well developed specialty started by the Soviet Russia 100 years ago.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:31 PM, Eiuol said:
On 2/18/2023 at 8:42 PM, AlexL said:

I didn't say it is. I said: "potentially transforming this site in a propaganda outlet" And also "what if none will refute/disprove the claims"?

... you go a little less extreme for some things, for example saying that RT is only acceptable to link in certain contexts.

During a war between Russia and Ukraine it is stupid to rely on Russian or Ukrainian governmental information. And post it approvingly on OO. I already explained why: it might contain some truth, but one never knows where.

And quoting specifically from RT is acceptable only when the subject is about what RT says on this or that😁

5 minutes ago, dream_weaver said:
48 minutes ago, AlexL said:

And post it (RT Links) approvingly on OO.

As indicated...

1. Your quote - "And post it (RT Links) approvingly on OO" - is inaccurate. I wrote:

During a war between Russia and Ukraine it is stupid to rely on Russian or Ukrainian governmental information. And post it approvingly on OO. 

So that it is not about RT links, but about links to "Russian or Ukrainian governmental information" in general.

I asked once, I'll ask again who want to toss their name in a hat to take on a role of moderator?

Your name is in the hat automatically, I guess. Mine won't be there. I've already gave one of my reasons.

BTW: do you mean OO-moderator or moderator for Ukraine threads ?

6 hours ago, dream_weaver said:
12 hours ago, AlexL said:

BTW: do you mean OO-moderator or moderator for Ukraine threads ?

OO.

I think you are overreacting. As I said, I can also live with the status quo.