Objectivism Online Forum

Is the "left" to blame for racism?

Rate this topic

daniel

Does Objectivism hold that the left is to blame for racism? If so what is the argument for this? I have produced an article on this, which is in the member's writing section, and have tried to argue that collectivism is to blame for racism and only capitalism can solve it? Is this true? Does my article argue this correctly?

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

You should read the article entitled 'Racism' in the Virtue of Selfishness, the first sentence of which is:

Racism is the lowest, most crudely primitive form of collectivism.

If you are in the UK then it can be difficult it is to get hold of Ayn Rand's books as I know that many of them on Amazon.co.uk are unavailable or will take at least three weeks to send to you.

You should read the article entitled 'Racism' in the Virtue of Selfishness, the first sentence of which is:

(SNIP)

Agreed. Also of interest may be Ayn Rand's essay, "Global Balkanization," which is printed in both Return of the Primitive and The Voice of Reason.

Daniel, one important question to ask you to determine if your thinking is correct is: what is "the left?"

Edited by redfarmer

I'm fairly certain that Objectivism holds the ideology of collectivism to blame for racism.

Racism is a form of collectivism. From a scientific point of view, however, it must be remembered that differences can exist between large groups of peoples. Susceptibility to some diseases, IQ, testosterone levels and lactose-intolerance, for instance, have been reported to vary, on average, between Caucasians, Black Africans and Orientals. The critical mistake is to assume that such averaged qualities apply to each and every individual of every race. Without collectivism, collective differences would not matter to each man's ability to achieve whatever he can. But it would be useless and mystical to deny that groups have particular qualities, qua groups.

• 2 weeks later...

Scientists performing such studies contribute to racism themselves. There is no reason to group people together at all in the first place.

I like what my history teacher does, is that to leave, the spaces blank in surveys that you're supposed to put your race in.

I mean if racism is completely evil, why does the government try to get the statistic on how many minorities there are?

I mean if racism is completely evil, why does the government try to get the statistic on how many minorities there are?

Because diets can vary widely between different ethnicities. Not as an absolute but it can not be denied that there are groups consisting largely of the same ethnicities that share common dietetic problems. That and among other reasons.

Edited by Michelangelo

If you are in the UK then it can be difficult it is to get hold of Ayn Rand's books as I know that many of them on Amazon.co.uk are unavailable or will take at least three weeks to send to you.

Depends where you are in the UK. If anyone cares, the huge Borders Books in the centre of London has a large philosophy section which sells copies of pretty much everything Rand wrote (including obscurer works like "The Voice of Reason")

guru kid: some races have advantages over others, I believe it was the nigerians that genetically are better at sprint/running, this is the same as saying that I, being mexican, are less susceptible too sunburn.

ps- many places that remained "hardcore" tribal longer than others had more chance of weaker genes being strained out. In a civilized society, the genetically weaker people could still survive.

:)

Micheal S Berliner has written a good article on the racism of mutlcultraism. A sample of it is available at the Ayn Rand institute. here, use this link, it should work:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pag...ivism_diversity

ps- many places that remained "hardcore" tribal longer than others had more chance of weaker genes being strained out. In a civilized society, the genetically weaker people could still survive.

:)

I've heard this argument before; there is actually some evidence that the European's long recurring affair with the Black Plague has made their genetic descendants resistant to HIV.

The general degree of filth (not to mention sharing one's homes with animals) in Europe during the Dark and Middle Ages made the Europeans resistant to an incredible variety of diseases . . . which they proceeded to take with them everywhere.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone read Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison? (at least I think it is him, I always get confused with the man who wrote American Psycho). Anyway, it was written in the fifties by a black man. In a way it is a magic realist swirl through early twentieth century black history, ending up with the protagonist's involvement with the civil rights movement and the American communist party. But in a way it is not. It is a VERY good book. The central character begins to realise that his is being exploited by the liberals, and that their collectivist aim is not compatible with his (equality with the whites). Obviously, my little sum-up of it there really does not do it justice, but it is a very good book and I have often wondered at the parallels with it and the Fountainhead. Has anyone read it?

p.s. I have often thought how the lyrics of Nina Simone's songs mirror the ideas of Ayn Rand - especially Ain't Got No Life (I am not saying that Nina Simone was a an Objectivist, but again the parallel is interesting)