Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

Hello everyone!

New here. Im officially 19 today. I found out about Ayn Rand last year. I've read Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead. I cant say that Im an Objectivist but Rand's philosophy does attract me.

My real issue is breaking from the past. Learning to let go of what I was once taught. I come from a country with Christianity (Roman Catholic) as the dominant religion and which does not value self.

It's been a tough year on the whole but im getting by.

To truth.

-fiel

Welcome, fiel, pleasure to meet you.

Breaking with the past can be difficult, and I know from experience that you can't just say, "Okay, starting over today, all that past stuff doesn't bother me now!" you have to go through some kind of methodical process of facing, identifying, and finishing your past experiences if making a break with them is necessary. Because they really happened, and nothing can change that.

An important thing is to remember that the past doesn't own your future, though; just because maybe you made some mistakes in the past (not saying you did) doesn't mean you have to pay ransoms for them forever; pay even and quits!

I'm officially 19 today.

And unofficially? :confused: [just kidding]

Indeed there are some people who have "official" birthdays and real birthdays. The real one is when they were born. The "official" one is the one according to their passport and school records. One reason for the disception -- once commonplace among some demographic groups in India -- is to get the kid into school a year early, to give him an "extra year of life".

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you are looking for: be it material, or discussion or sanctuary.

Greetings. I'm new too, so I'm making my rounds.

I know what you mean about breaking from the past. About the time I was first reading Rand, I saw that I had to make some decisions about my beliefs. It's hard, but knowing that you're doing what's right is priceless.

I will pass you a welcome too, I hope you enjoy your time here.

I have to agree with the various comments about ones past. Ones past, while it might contribute to whom was was and is, is not a chain that binds you too what you once were. It is something from which you can move on from, a 'place' from which you can take insights, expereinces, and perhaps even abit of knowledge.