Objectivism Online Forum

Best Colleges

Rate this topic

Which colleges are the best in the world? What do people, particularly Americans, make of the London School of Economics? Is it well known university? The Times newspaper ranks it 11th in the world. Does this sound fair? I ask this as i'm considering moving to NYC to work as a journalist.

Which colleges are the best in the world? What do people, particularly Americans, make of the London School of Economics? Is it well known university? The Times newspaper ranks it 11th in the world. Does this sound fair? I ask this as i'm considering moving to NYC to work as a journalist.

I had a friend that went to LSE in the 80's and came back to literally step off the plane and went to work for Chemical Bank for an obscene but well deserved amount of money. I've always thought pretty highly of it just like the University of Chicago school of Econ and Columbia, even if it is/was a freaking hotbed of Fabianism and militantly pragmatic from what I remember. The Beaver, Script and Loose are really well made but you have to ask yourself can you put up with their bent towards the left etc? Mind you, it would look very good on a resume/CV here in the US in the publishing world working for them.

Still, I've had friends that went to Swarthmore here in the US and got a good education and were perfectly normal humans. So I've always tended to view the candidate over the place where they attended but if you can attend somewhere like LSE, SWAT, Chicago, etc and still come away an intelligent/impressive individual you can write your own check. But there are alternatives. What about coming to college in the US? I seem to remember LSE has a program with Columbia where you can come to the US and attend Columbia for a while so it would give you an entree into the US.

Plus are you just really sold on LSE or are you considering other colleges. I'm assuming you are a UK citizen so it shouldn't be to hard to secure a US student visa. Mind you, the tuition will be killer....

I had a friend that went to LSE in the 80's and came back to literally step off the plane and went to work for Chemical Bank for an obscene but well deserved amount of money. I've always thought pretty highly of it just like the University of Chicago school of Econ and Columbia, even if it is/was a freaking hotbed of Fabianism and militantly pragmatic from what I remember.  The Beaver, Script and Loose are really well made but you have to ask yourself can you put up with their bent towards the left etc? Mind you, it would look very good on a resume/CV here in the US in the publishing world working for them.

Still, I've had friends that went to Swarthmore here in the US and got a good education and were perfectly normal humans. So I've always tended to view the candidate over the place where they attended but if you can attend somewhere like LSE, SWAT, Chicago, etc and still come away an intelligent/impressive individual you can write your own check. But there are alternatives. What about coming to college in the US? I seem to remember LSE has a program with Columbia where you can come to the US and attend Columbia for a while so it would give you an entree into the US.

Plus are you just really sold on LSE or are you considering other colleges. I'm assuming you are a UK citizen so it shouldn't be to hard to secure a US student visa. Mind you, the tuition will be killer....

Thanks for the comments.

At the moment i'm at LSE. I've been thinking doing a Stanford MBA (i love the idea of setting up a search fund) but a part of me wants to go into the world of work specifically journalism. In your opinion what's the most right wing newspaper in NYC?

LSE has a reputation for being left wing but these Marxists of course go on to be bankers. Also there is a thriving right wing scene - the Hayek Society is the biggest club on campus and i hope to set up an Objectivist Club.

Daniel, If I remember your previous posts right, then you are already at the LSE. Are you graduating from there and considering a job in the US? Is that the gist of your question?

Yes, that's right. I still have two years at LSE left, but am just thinking about how well i'd fare in terms of my college repuation in the US journalism job market.

I dont know, but apparently the university I attend is ranked 125th in the world (according to what study I do not know). This other one at the other end of town is ranked 88th, but I personally think this university is better for what i intend to study, and I would say better over all.

According to this site, however, my university fares alot worse. My country just does not have many universities or very good ones it appears. Oh well, I dont think it is as important as many think, I mean I am perfectly capable of making up for where my university fails.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

I dont know, but apparently the university I attend is ranked 125th in the world (according to what study I do not know).  This other one at the other end of town is ranked 88th, but I personally think this university is better for what i intend to study, and I would say better over all.

According to this site, however, my university fares alot worse.  My country just does not have many universities or very good ones it appears.  Oh well, I dont think it is as important as many think, I mean I am perfectly capable of making up for where my university fails.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

I wouldn't pay much attention to that survey. It is disregarded by many in the UK because it is bias in favour of those colleges who perform well in the sciences and technolgy, thus it discriminates against social science colleges for example.

Thanks for the comments.

At the moment i'm at LSE. I've been thinking doing a Stanford MBA (i love the idea of setting up a search fund) but a part of me wants to go into the world of work specifically journalism. In your opinion what's the most right wing newspaper in NYC?

I really can't say for sure. I think that's a bit like saying what's the most capitalist faction of the Greens party. I'll have to defer to some of the New Yorkers here. Though journalism in my experience is rarely an non-left leaning profession.
LSE has a reputation for being left wing but these Marxists of course go on to be bankers. Also there is a thriving right wing scene - the Hayek Society is the biggest club on campus and i hope to set up an Objectivist Club.

Very true. It's the same here as well. It seems like the more radically leftist the campus invariably the more likely the higher end of a job they will end up working. But I've noticed in the banking and brokerage industry and noted on other threads that there is a significant number of people in the financial industry range from liberal to downright Marxist in their political views.

I wouldn't pay much attention to that survey. It is disregarded by many in the UK because it is bias in favour of those colleges who perform well in the sciences and technolgy, thus it discriminates against social science colleges for example.

I dont put much faith in it. Well strictly, speaking I put no faith in it, I dont practise faith as it is irrational. I mean, I do not put pay much attention to it. Neithar do I attach much importance too it.

LSE is an excellent college, although not quite in the same league as the top US institutions (MIT, Stanford etc). But in terms of the UK hierarchy, the London colleges are right behind Oxbridge, with not much different apart from the reputation. But if youre talking specifically about international reptuation, I doubt most non-academics outside the UK have heard of any British universities apart from Oxbridge.

League tables are exceptionally subjective, but heres some links if youre interested:

http://www.ic.ac.uk/P637.htm

Edited by Hal

haha, no. Maybe within the LSE student union it does...

LSE has a reputation for being filled with foreigners and tories.

For many LSE and the SU are synonymous, thus the reputation of the LSE is as a left wing institution. The riots of 1968 are still in certain people's minds.

It does have a reputation for being filled with foreigners (around 70%) though having a reputation for being filled with tories is a new one on me. Later in life many become tories no doubt, but while they are students i don't think thats the case - last year the tories were heavily defeated in the SU elections. But thanks for the interesting incite.