Objectivism Online Forum

Man Mods Himself...

Rate this topic

According to one of the more reputable PC magazines I read, this tech nerd has fitted himself with a RFID (Radio Frequency ID Chip). . He had the tiny thing,which is about the size of ones smallest fingernail, inserted in the webbing between his thumb and finger.

This will allow him to interact with various radio signal transmission/receiving through his hand effectively. He wants to be able to use it to control the doors and lights in his house, to unlock his car, set things up so he can put his hand on the car dashboard and start the car up, to store passwords, and the list goes on.

He has used 48-bit encryption in case someone tries to 'hack his hand'. He has part of it open as a "Here I am sort of thing" for his friends.

Next year he wants to upgrade it. Which will involve taking the current one out (which isnt all that painful apparently) and putting one in with more memory and better encryption, because after all, 48-bit encryption isnt all that great these days.

He has apparently received alot of attention from overseas peers (he is a computer technician), including a post-grad student in London whom is writing a paper on why someone would want a mod chip installed in their body.

What are your thoughts on this? I like it, I wish I could have something like this done!

Why can't he just wear a ring, bracelet, or sticker?

yeah, I guess he could wear a digital ring or something like that. But apparently he is into the idea of the "transman" thing. Which I assume means he is into the idea of improving the functionality of the human form or something like that. And it is alot harder to lose this thing or have it stolen, perhaps he is worried about this.

I've been reading a lot on 'transhumanism' and 'extropianism' lately. Some of it sounds like Timothy Leary meets the Borg, pompous and laughable.

But I am a big fan of using technology to better mankind. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?

After all, how is a chip implant that makes doors slide open for you any different than the rubber mat at WalMart? My carpal-tunnel-weary arms could use a break from mousing & typing all day long, so I'd dig a real efficient voice-recognition operating system for my PC. Technology that might allow me to digitally store sensitive data within my body, rather than on a computer exposed to wi-fi hackers, seems like a good idea.

What about robotics? Engineers on the verge of opening the floodgates on robotic limbs that respond to the same kinds of impulses once sent to pre-amputated limbs. Artificial eyes, anyone?

I think all this is a good thing, personally. But, with all technological advances, there's a morality involved. There will be some who abuse it, and depend on it. I mean, how long will it be before we see sub-dermal universal TV remotes? :)

I totally agree with the comments here in that technology to better life is a good thing. However, this specific case taken in context with today's political enviornment makes me shiver.

I would be careful about personally promoting technology of this sort because for every innovative and useful application, we give ammo to those who wouldn't mind seeing all of america "tagged" by law.

they would argue:

"the benefits to each person far outweigh the small privacy issue"

I could imagine it happening.

:)

As some of you point out, there is little wrong with someone implanting a few useful chips into himself.

Now let us imagine a future where these chips become much more common...

As long as they dont implant things which can be easily used to violate the rights of others. Such as say, a little device that could be used to hack into any similiar devices someone else might be wearing.

Imagine if someone could just walk by you and have a really advanced 'hack-chip' hack into your implant and steal confidential information (which could be reallty troublesome if the government forced you to have a tracking/ID chip). And of course, if implants became common enough, someone would at least try to make one of these.

And of course, medical issues might arise. Would your medical insurance cover any harm your implant might inflict? Clearly the manufacturers of these devices would have to be careful not to include substances which would harm the body.

Imagine if someone could just walk by you and have a really advanced 'hack-chip' hack into your implant and steal confidential information (which could be reallty troublesome if the government forced you to have a tracking/ID chip).

OR.. you could just steal their wallet, which already has a government-mandated ID.

Why can't he just wear a ring, bracelet, or sticker?

These things can easily get lost or stolen. And if someone found it, they would have no trouble entering your house, given the functionality of this chip allows that, etc.

OR.. you could just steal their wallet, which already has a government-mandated ID.

Yeah, you could do that. But some people would keep information, such as passwords on a chip that they would not normally put in a wallet. And what if you can use the chip to then restrict the owners access to sites etc? Stealing their wallet isnt so useful for doing that.

• 2 weeks later...
Better the wallet stolen then having your hand/ fingers cut off

Abit easier to do though I suspect.

And its alot harder to forget your hand than it is your wallet. As forgetful as I can be sometimes, I have not once yet forgot my hand. :)

Better the wallet stolen then having your hand/ fingers cut off

You could easily design the chip so that it sences your pulse and nerve impulses and without those - ceases to function. C'mon people - check out www.kurzweilai.net. It's amazing - we have the philosophy this tech needs and they have the tech that would make our lives so much more pleasurable.B)

You could easily design the chip so that it sences your pulse and nerve impulses and without those - ceases to function. C'mon people - check out www.kurzweilai.net. It's amazing - we have the philosophy this tech needs and they have the tech that would make our lives so much more pleasurable.:)

Good point...I should have thought of something that obvious... :(

Im sure there are many alternatives to your idea, or compliments too your idea as well.