Objectivism Online Forum

Another New Person?

Rate this topic

Hi. I discovered this forum yesterday, and had to get involved. I have had little contact with Objectivists. Going back and forth with religious friends just isn't the same, you know?

I discovered Ayn Rand about 5 years ago, and I've been growing since. I love The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged (in that order,) like We the Living, and find Anthem so-so. My other favorite author'd be Dostoevsky (I read a lot.)

I read as much philosophy as I can comprehend, Objectivist and non-Objectivist.

I'm more Francisco than Galt, make of that what you will <_<

I don't usually post walls of texts, so that might be a relief to some. I do usually post in a free manner; I'll often post an opinion that might not be orthodox, so long as I believe I can defend it. Nothing blatantly contrary to Objectivism, but hopefully something that's not been heard.

My only other significant hobby besides reading would be video games.

All-time favorite quote:

"An error made on your own is safer than ten truths made on faith." - John Galt

Welcome to the forum.

I dont know how many serious video game fans we have here, I have not really looked into it, but probably not all that many. Maybe I will look into it out of curiosity...

I would be cautious of course about saying something on the hope it is new, as you probably realise, new isnt always better.

I like the quote, it is one of my favorites too. I would have to say that my favorite quote is one from Terry Goodkind:

"The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason"

That's a good quote, Prometheus. I'll have to write that one down.

Well, I don't post for the sake of "newness," but I try not to repeat what's been said, and have no problem being unconventional, so long as it's defendable. :)

thanks for the links, JMeganSnow!

That's a good quote, Prometheus. I'll have to write that one down.

Well, I don't post for the sake of "newness," but I try not to repeat what's been said, and have no problem being unconventional, so long as it's defendable. :)

thanks for the links, JMeganSnow!

Oh fair enough, there is little point in repeating what has been already said unless you really think clarification is needed. And I dont mind someone being unconventional as long as they go about it rationality and can defend there behaviour/statements etc.

That last quote is from Terry Goodkinds novel, the Faith of the Fallen, book six of the popular fantasy series Sword of Truth. The series revolves around Objectivist philosophy, the author is an objectivist. You should look into it...

Edited by Prometheus98876

Welcome to the forum! Mario Bros brings back so many childhood memories... even the music was catchy. I fell in love with Francisco myself while reading Atlas. I'll refer you to the thread "Favorite Atlas Shrugged Couple" in the Book Club forum. I found it interesting that "Dagny and Francisco" beat all the others. Anyhoo...welcome again and hope you enjoy!

~Isabel