Objectivism Online Forum

Want To Throw Expletives At Your Teacher?

Rate this topic

Groovenstein

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9132814/

In the interest of full disclosure, I swear in private. I am shocked, however, at this being permitted in a SCHOOL. Teachers will now spend class time tallying the student's use of f-bombs to ensure compliance with the limit of 5 per class.

What a bummer for the kids, and for the parents without the immediate means to send their kids to an institution that values that Draconian idea of a school environment conducive to learning.

This is like reclassifying suicide bombings as "murder-suicides" in order to decrease the number of "acts of terrorism".

The students will be "spoken to?" Whatever happened to detention? A better policy would be to forbid students to speak at all.

It seems like a pretty stupid policy to me.

The kids are allowed to swear FIVE times before being spoken to. It seems to me that if you wish to discourage swearing in class you would speak to the child after the first time. Why let them get away with it five times? This is just encouraging the kids to swear, giving them the message that a few times is alright. But i would have thought that the teachers would not like Any swearing.

Why allow the rules to be so flexible just because the kids refuse to obey them? I think it would be far better to get tougher on swearing rather than more lax if you really want it to stop. This gives kids the message that five is a reasonable amount of swearing. Im sure the teachers and some of the other students would disagree with this..

Some might argue that trying to stop them swearing at all doesnt work. OK, but do you think this will eithear? I dont think that those whom are determined to swear are going to be put off by a 'speaking to' after the fifth time.

Since verbal abuse is still abuse will the school authorities decide soon on a 'reasonable' amount of times that a pupil may physically assault a teacher or fellow pupil before action should be taken against them? This lack of conviction on the part of the school authorities is symtomatic of the moral grayness that abounds in so many aspects of society these days. Just another example of people being afraid to deal in absolutes in case they offend someone, anyone, else, even though the people most likely to be offended by absolute judgements on behaviour are those most likely to misbehave (or their 'righteous' defenders).

It seems like a pretty stupid policy to me.

The kids are allowed to swear FIVE times before being spoken to.  It seems to me that if you wish to discourage swearing in class you would speak to the child after the first time.  Why let them get away with it five times?  This is just encouraging the kids to swear, giving them the message that a few times is alright.  But i would have thought that the teachers would not like Any swearing. 

Why allow the rules to be so flexible just because the kids refuse to obey them?  I think it would be far better to get tougher on swearing rather than more lax if you really want it to stop.  This gives kids the message that five is a reasonable amount of swearing.  Im sure the teachers and some of the other students would disagree with this..

Some might argue that trying to stop them swearing at all doesnt work.  OK, but do you think this will eithear?  I dont think that those whom are determined to swear are going to be put off by a 'speaking to' after the fifth time.

I compleately agree with you. I have seen what happens when a teacher is relaxed when it comes to the rules of the classroom. More and more kids see that they can get away with situations such as cussing, and as a result the class gets out of hand. Thus, kids like me who actually want to learn get their time wasted.

As for people's excuses that telling them to stop doesn't work: it's a lie. When a teacher is strict enough they do stop. Maybe not all of them, but almost all of them will.

I compleately agree with you. I have seen what happens when a teacher is relaxed when it comes to the rules of the classroom. More and more kids see that they can get away with situations such as cussing, and as a result the class gets out of hand. Thus, kids like me who actually want to learn get their time wasted. 

As for people's excuses that telling them to stop doesn't work: it's a lie. When a teacher is strict enough they do stop. Maybe not all of them, but almost all of them will.

Thank you. I have a deal of sympathy for those whom want to learn and hate it when others attempt to stop someone learning because they do not value learning.

As you say, when it comes to enforcing rules, strictness works better than leniance and tolerance. Anyone whom thinks otherwise is not thinking rationally about things. If they still insist on swearing, kick them out of the room or such, they have violated their right to be there, don't pretend they still have that right by tolerating their abusive behavior.