Objectivism Online Forum

Hello from CapMag forums

Rate this topic

My name is Erik and I usually post on the capmag forum. I was on the old board there for years as a poster and lurker before it changed and all the old threads were lost.

Recently there has been in place a 10 minute waiting period between posts and Zirjin had recommended this forum as an alternative.

I've been a student of Objectivism for about 7-8 years but there is still lot to know. I'm for starting an objectivist/capitalist political party because obviously the big 2 are not representing us at all.

I look forward to wonderful discussions in the future.

I agree with you entirely.

It reminds me of when Bush (Jr or Sr?) stated that he didn't think that aethiests should be U.S. citizens, because we are one nation under God. It didn't really make me angry, but it DID puzzle me why he would say such a thing.

Objectivism is a wonderful thing. By choosing to apply objectivists principles to my life, it's given me indifference, confidence, patience, sent my self-esteem soaring, keeps my anger in check, quells my stress, and the habit of just sitting back and shaking my head in wonder how anyone could survive without applying those principles.

• 2 weeks later...
It reminds me of when Bush (Jr or Sr?) stated that he didn't think that aethiests should be U.S. citizens, because we are one nation under God.  It didn't really make me angry, but it DID puzzle me why he would say such a thing.

I had no idea this actually happened and I couldn't believe it was true. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bush supporter, but I would at least expect him to lie.

I researched this, and as it turns out, yes, Bush senior said this in the late eighties. Didn't make you angry? In 1989, the Whitehouse's office position was stated as this: "As you are aware, the President is a religious man who neither supports atheism nor believes that atheism should be unnecessarily encouraged or supported by the government." And we have our government funding "faith-based" programs.

Thomas Jefferson said, "History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose." He must be--one would expect--rolling over in his grave.

The actions and motives of today's politicians stand in such stark contrast to that of the founding fathers' its frightening. The fact that you're not outraged by a comment such as that is equally frightening.