Objectivism Online Forum

Favorite Short Quote

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

That was my favorite line from the book. I think it sums up so much about Objectivism. Plus I literally waited 12 years to use the line in an argument with a second hander. He was a loser that lived off his parents wealth ...

You waited 12 years to use it on someone and you claim you don't think about him? LOL!!

This obsession with "Looky here now how insignificant you are to me" only suggests that one is the very opposite.

Perhaps some people find it pleasurable to concern themselves with how most people are inferior (morally), and how one is sooo heroic in comparison to them. I find it pleasurable to just focus on those who are great.

Those who do not bring me value are nothing to me, and I would not devote any of my time to let them know about it.

As for a favorite quote... it's not my all-times favorite (I don't have that yet), but it's a nice sentence from the song "scream" by Michael & Janet Jackson that I thought of recently:

"if you tell me I'm wrong, man you better prove you're right"

My favorite line from Atlas Shrugged after the first reading of it was from the scene in which Reardan and Francisco are saving a furnace: it's right after Reardan saves Francisco's life, he tells him something like "watch out, you fool!", showing his love for Francisco by cursing him... :lol:

It is my eyes which see, and the sight of my eyes grants beauty to the earth. It is my ears which hear, and the hearing of my ears gives its song to the world. It is my mind which thinks, and the judgement of my mind is the only searchlight that can find the truth. It is my will which chooses, and the choice of my will is the only edict I must respect.

This is my favorite quote from Anthem!

You waited 12 years to use it on someone and you claim you don't think about him? LOL!!

This obsession with "Looky here now how insignificant you are to me" only suggests that one is the very opposite.

Perhaps some people find it pleasurable to concern themselves with how most people are inferior (morally), and how one is sooo heroic in comparison to them. I find it pleasurable to just focus on those who are great.

Those who do not bring me value are nothing to me, and I would not devote any of my time to let them know about it.

Check out my response in this very thread.

As I pointed out before, I save up zingers, whiticisms, etc. It wasn't a moment of Objectivist triumph or some such nonsense for me, it was just a moment of happiness in that I got to use one of my saved zingers. The topper was it was used on a person who was a real second hander that would appreciate the joke. Neither he nor I took it as a dramatic recreation of the Fountainhead, we both took it as a joke. Exactly as it was intended. Actually, he and his wife are friends of my wife so I do see them quite often. And yes, I generally totally ignore his long screeds becuase I don't care about him. So I actually do the proper thing and ignore him. His wife is nice so I don't mind going over there. If he really got under my skin, I'd either not go with my wife to his bbq's, or I'd snipe at his pretty silly screeds.

I heard a great joke about Rex having a diminutive Lex in the mid 80's. It wasn't until recently that I got to use it when hearing an oral argument. It's a law school/lawyer joke about government being subordinate to the law. But it's still pretty funny. As I also mentioned, I've got a great CMO joke if only people dealt in them. I doubt I'll ever be able to pull it up in a conversation but I still find it funny.

• 3 months later...

I know it's an old thread, but I couldn't resist. From Anthem:

"I do not know if this earth on which I stand is the core of the universe or if it is a speck of dust lost in eternity. I know not and I care not. For I know what happiness is possible to me on earth. And my happiness needs no higher aim to vindicate it. My happiness is not the means to my end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose."

This one struck me most one dusk many a year ago when both Venus and Mercury were visible above a light yellow horizon fading to a darkening blue, and the structure of the solar system became almost perceptualised. This view was over a part of Australia called the Spencer Gulf, with the east coast just barely visible, and if you pay attention you can discern the curvature of the Earth from a hill at the edge of Whyalla on the west coast of the gulf. Metaphysics, epistemology, science, ethics, aesthetics, all in a single moment - now THAT's integration.

JJM

• 5 years later...

"In a distant field, beyond the town, they saw the figure of a man moving slowly, contorted by the ugliness of a physical effort beyond the proper use of a human body: he was pushing a plow by hand." AS - Part 1, Ch. IX.

The entire sequence of Dagny and Hank pursuing the various leads to find the creator of the motor is my absolute favorite. The imagery is so stunning; Starnesville is one of Rand's most illuminating contructs in my opinion. She understood that what some people call 'progress' is actually the most deviant form of regress.

• 4 months later...