Objectivism Online Forum

Whittle On Katrina

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

Paul Hsieh blog-entry (on 'NoodleFood') led me to an article about the New Orleans situation, written by blogger Bill Whittle. I was happy to read the article and to be introduced to the writing of another person who takes ideas seriously. Mr. Whittle is not an Objectivist. There is much to like in the article, so could be an interesting exercise in philosophical detection to figure out what -- if anything -- he gets wrong, and why.

Paul Hsieh blog-entry (on 'NoodleFood') led me to an article about the New Orleans situation, written by blogger Bill Whittle. I was happy to read the article and to be introduced to the writing of another person who takes ideas seriously. Mr. Whittle is not an Objectivist. There is much to like in the article, so could be an interesting exercise in philosophical detection to figure out what -- if anything -- he gets wrong, and why.

I've only read a portion of his blog so far, but very interesting material. Clearly a logical and honest man, but probably without an explicitly rational philosophy to integrate all of it together.

People who are honest and take ideas seriously are so rare among commentators. Everyone is busy "spinning". For instance, if a Democrat president was to have gone to war in Iraq, I wonder how many of today's pro-Republican commentators would be singing a different tune.

Recently, someone was saying (I forget where) that the best elements from the Democratic and Republican sides should come together as a third force. If this happens, I wonder if the first place we might see such a "coming together" might be in the "blogosphere".