Objectivism Online Forum

Yahoo Helped China Jail Journalist

Rate this topic

Al Kufr

Would a proper government prosecute the people at Yahoo responsible for cooperating with a statist government and helping that government violate their own citizens rights.
An update on this case: The wife of the Chinese dissident whom Yahoo is alleged to have "outed" is now suing Yahoo in U.S. court.

Probably should be a different thread, but do you think that law is justified?
I do not know enough about that law to have an opinion. If it is a blanket ban on all bribes, regardless of reason and situation, I think it is wrong.

That's good news. I can't believe that some on this forum defended Yahoo's outting of dissidents as just the price of doing business. There's a difference between complying with stupid and arbitrary regulations in a country on the one hand, and handing over people to be tortured on the other. If the Nazis required you to cooperate finding Jews for them during WWII in order to keep your business open, would you have complied? Yahoo should have withdrawn its business first. Although there probably isn't the law to support it, I'd be strongly in favor of the Yahoo people who made the decision going to jail (in the US) for many years.