Objectivism Online Forum

Who Should Play John Galt In Atlas Shrugged?

Rate this topic

Felix

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's already a thread about the movie, but this probably deserves its own thread.

Brad Pitt is too much of a big name star. Everyone would be focused on "OMG it's BRAD PITT" than the actual character that he's playing. I think Christian Bale would be perfect. He looks the part, and his roles in Equilibrium and Batman Begins are both strongly individualistic characters.

Brad Pitt played Tyler Durdan in fight club. How "ironic" would it be he play John Galt. I like C. Bale much better, really. Also, I don't think that even a trilogy would be able to do A.S. justice. How about a TV show. They want contraversy, lol, we'll give'em contraversy. :dough:

I would give almost anything to play the part. I know I could do it.

Wether I would be right for it is another issue. I don't know that my homely face could portray the power needed in the face of Galt, but I am 'devoid of pain or fear or guilt.'

Check my profile pic.

Galt was an enigma, so the movie Galt should be too. A no-name likely will carry less baggage and more mystique than the People magazine set.

In the book, Galt appears before the reader knows he is Galt, indeed before the reader knows he is of importance. Difficult to do that in a movie. Impossible if he is a star.

Up until now we had the choice between Tyler Burden and American Psycho. :)

Good alternative.

How about a choice between Achilles and Batman? Or the vampire Louis de Pointe du Lac and the Grammaton Cleric John Preston? These choices have better aftertastes, but I still say new talent.

I think a John Galt might be easy to find. Harder decisions await the characters of Midas Mulligan and Ellis Wyatt.

Who I'm really interested in is Dagny. Gwen Stefani can't act, can she?

Sorry for getting off topic.

How about a choice between Achilles and Batman? Or the vampire Louis de Pointe du Lac and the Grammaton Cleric John Preston? These choices have better aftertastes, but I still say new talent.

I thought of Tyler Burden when I proposed Brad Pitt. That's what I thought John Galt would look like.

I haven't seen him as Achilles.

When I thought of Christian Bale I had John Preston in mind.

I just made that post for fun.

Who I'm really interested in is Dagny. Gwen Stefani can't act, can she?

You're right on topic. But ... Gwen Stefani? :)

Please not.

... Gwen Stefani?  :)

Please not.

Her music may be spiraling past disaster. It was tolerable during the No Doubt years, however that BANANAS song makes me want to end it all with a rusty spoon. And, like I said, she may not be able to act. But I think she could pull off the Dagny look. Have you seen those videos where she's doing the roaring 20's look? :lol:

Okay, all this talk about Gwen Stefani is enough to make me vomit. For the love God, don't put images of her playing Dagny into my head. And, yes, the Bananas song sucks.

Regarding Christian Bale, I disagree with whoever said he has a boyish face. He looks young, because he IS young, but you don't want someone as old as Robert Redford playing the part, although he would have been perfect when he was younger. Christian Bale could definitely pull off the soldier look if he had to. In Equilibrium, he does an incredible job of making sure that his face shows absolutely no emotion. There aren't a lot of actors who could pull that off. And he can definitely pull off the "without pain or guilt or fear" look. In both Batman and Equilibrium, he always looks like a man who is convinced that what he's doing is right and he never shows one lick of fear.

Okay, all this talk about Gwen Stefani is enough to make me vomit.  For the love God, don't put images of her playing Dagny into my head.

To change the images in your head, here's another subject:

I think Anthony Hopkins should be Hugh Akston.

I agree with you on Christian Bale.

Anthony Hopkins would be great in that role.  I can just see Dagny visiting him in his little diner and them having a meal together made up of liver, fava beans, and a nice cianti.

Touché.

:sorcerer:

Looks like we have all the lunatics together in this movie.

But seriously, if you know The Edge, this one is a no-brainer.