Objectivism Online Forum

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose

Rate this topic

The Wrath

I am certainly not calling you a liar. But, I have doubts that Piekoff would have ever said that he "likes horror movies" can you provide a definitive source?

Since it was on a CD that I had borrowed I can't go and get it right now to qoute and tell you the exact time. Although I relatively sure it was in Understanding Objectivism.

The closest I could come to confirming it to you is this link here

Now, I didn't read the article, so I don't know if I agree or not with it. But just do a quick word-find of "Peikoff" and you'll be able to find the paragraph that mentions this.

But even Peikoff once disagreed with Rand’s assessment of horror movies, of which he was a fan.

Even a horror story can portray a conflict of values between or within volitional individuals. In other words, even a horror story can be a Romantic story. I don't know if The Exorcism of Emily Rose qualifies, but I can think of at least one example.

Forever Night was a television series about a vampire who lived by a moral code that came into conflict with his nature as a vampire and his feelings for the vampire who made him what he was. He refused to drink human blood even though animal blood was disgusting, and he worked as a night time detective. More careful scrutiny might reveal that the series more often took a naturalist approach to plot, but it still illustrates my point.