Objectivism Online Forum

Help me with my HW assignment on moral codes?

Rate this topic

F.B

Hello, I am probably the youngest one here. Anyways i have to write an essay Gr.12 level on everyday Moral Codes and how society reacts towards them. I need about 3 simple ones. I am going to use the ten commandments as one. I know i could easily separate them and i would have my three. But I dont want to do that. So can anyone please give me 2 simple moral codes that we use in everyday day live.Thanks.

Sorry about that i didn't know. But can anyone tell me a different site to where i can find some moral codes or get some help.

The Ten Commandments is an example of a moral code, and kudos to you for recognizing that fact, F.B.

In Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand, Dr. Peikoff presents Ayn Rand's ethics in the form of the Seven Primary Virtues: Rationality is the first, and there are six derivative ones: Independance, Integrity, Productiveness, Honesty, Justice, Pride. That is a very well-defined code that you could use.

You might also consider contrasting it with another major code that it contradicts completely: the Christian Seven Deadly Sins.

But is this an example of moral code? for(i=0; i<1000; i++) printf("A is A\n");Sorry.  :)
LOL.

OTOH, if this was homework, you could "easily separate" each iteration. Thus, you'd end up with 1000 moral codes: enough for the whole class. The only problem is that the teacher might accuse the students of copying.

But seriously F.B., go with "FeatherFall's" advice (above), if you can.

Isn't Altruism sort of a good thing. I just read a definition saying that it means helping someone with little or no interest of being rewarded. This is something we should be doing everyday and in my essay theres another question I have to answer. It's how would i honour this moral code if the norms of society may challenge me. Anyways thanks so much for helping me.

I just read a definition saying that it means helping someone with little or no interest of being rewarded. This is something we should be doing everyday and in my essay theres another question I have to answer.
Why would that be a good thing? It has to be for a better reason than "just because". That moral code implies that you owe it to others to help them for free -- where did that obligation come from? Is it because, for example, other people are more important than yourself? That kind of moral code, if applied seriously and consistently, literally leads to death.

But why would we need a reason to help someone. We should help someone no matter what. Or do you mean that some people rather help other people than themselves which would cause themselves to die. If thats what you mean what does society say about it.

Edited by F.B

But why would we need a reason to help someone. We should help someone no matter what. Or do you mean that some people rather help other people than themselves which would cause themselves to die. If thats what you mean what does society say about it.
Why wouldn't you need reason to act? You are just saying "we should help, no matter what" -- why? How about "You should just kill youself, no matter what."? That would not be a reasonable moral principle. Actions demands reasons, so what reason is there for helping another person. And, please focus on this -- at what cost? If you have the opportunity to save the life of another person by doing something that saves their life, but will end your life, should you do it? That's what it means to help others "no matter what". It also means that if you can improve the living conditions of another, at the expense of yor own life, should you sacrifice your life? That's what it means to help others "no matter what". You have to have a rational reason for helping another person, since any action that you take, no matter what, costs you something. You need to have a very good reason to give away some part -- or all -- of your life for the benefit of another.

Anyways i have to write an essay Gr.12 level on everyday Moral Codes and how society reacts towards them. I need about 3 simple ones. I am going to use the ten commandments as one. 

I have tried to read all the posts in this thread. I notice that so far there has been no explicit distinction made between: code, principle, and rule.

A moral code is a collection of principles or rules. Your identification of the Judeo-Christian Ten Commandments as a moral code is right on target. Another example might be the Five Pillars of Islam.

A moral principle is a very wide abstraction that serves as a basis for a vast number of particular actions. Egoism, the idea that one should act for one's own selfish benefit, is the name of a principle. How you apply that in particular circumstances is another issue.

A moral rule is a straight-forward statement of what to do or not do in particular circumstances. "Pray five times a day, facing Mecca," is a moral rule in Islam, that is, it specifies exactly what you should do.

I may be understanding my topic wrong. So i'll just type it all out.

Morality plays a significant role in society especially amongst Catholics.We have been raised not only to follow the norms of society but more importantly the moral codes set by out institutions. Write a brief essay explaining three moral codes that are very important in your life. Express why the moral code is important to you and possibly your family and how do you intend to honour it when the norms of society may challenge you.

I should have typed this whole thing out a long time ago. But i forgot sorry. Anyways thats what i have to do.

Well, what three moral codes are important to you?

Also, did you just happen upon the ObjectivismOnline Forum while searching for "moral code", or do you know something about Objectivism. The type of advice will will would differ, depending upon this context.

Morality plays a significant role in society especially amongst Catholics.We have been raised not only to follow the norms of society but more importantly the moral codes set by out institutions. Write a brief essay explaining three moral codes that are very important in your life. Express why the moral code is important to you and possibly your family and how do you intend to honour it when the norms of society may challenge you.

Hmm . . . it sounds like contrasting codes that conflict would not be the purpose of this paper: you are supposed to examine codes to which you actually attempt to adhere.

First, you may want to think about what IS morality: it is, in essence, a set of principles that act as guide to living.

I would suggest hitting a library and the Self Help section. Books like The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People offer a list of things you should try to live by, and that's a moral code. You will probably be able to find a number of them in short order, as well as finding several with which you at least partially agree.

Dr. Zimmerman might be a good place for you to start looking.