Objectivism Online Forum

More robots

Rate this topic

Lemuel

So I'm a big fan of the robots. BIG fan. Walken says "more cowbell" and I say "more robots".

Although I think that building humanoid robots constitutes a lack of imagination, I'm delighted at some of the advances they're making with them.

Here's a download (.wmv) of another one ... somewhat animatronic, but a little more lifelike ... HERE. Kinda looks like Grace Park ...

:D SynthLord

So I'm a big fan of the robots. BIG fan. Walken says "more cowbell" and I say "more robots".

Although I think that building humanoid robots constitutes a lack of imagination, I'm delighted at some of the advances they're making with them.

Here's a download (.wmv) of another one ... somewhat animatronic, but a little more lifelike ... HERE. Kinda looks like Grace Park ...

:D SynthLord

Its nice to see another robot fan. I am also really interested in robots, and indeed I might study AI after I graduate my CS and Electronics BSc.

I dont think though that buiding humanoid robots is at all a bad thing, sure it might not be all that imaginative, but there are many good reasons to build a humanoid robot. Maybe you want to it model human behaviour for instance.

I am assuming also that are somewhat interested in AI ?

As for the video clip, I will watch it when I get a chance....

Me, interested in AI? Only from the perspective of being an unrepentant sci-fi fan. :P

Don't get me wrong ... "Data" would be a remarkable accomplishment. But in the meantime, I'd dig more things like the Roomba.

I think the robotics industry would be a fun one to get involved in. How exciting it must be to develop little commercial droids, make some serious bank, throw it into R&D and develop even better bots!

I shoulda studied engineering ... :lol:

Me, interested in AI? Only from the perspective of being an unrepentant sci-fi fan. :P

Don't get me wrong ... "Data" would be a remarkable accomplishment. But in the meantime, I'd dig more things like the Roomba.

I think the robotics industry would be a fun one to get involved in. How exciting it must be to develop little commercial droids, make some serious bank, throw it into R&D and develop even better bots!

I shoulda studied engineering ...  :P

Ahh, oh I was a little a bit off then.

Still... you like robots so things aren't totally bad. :lol:

I was considering changing my major to mechatronic engineering. But ultimately I decided that my real interest is in Computer Science. The work (OS design) and research (into Ternary computing, even though noone else seems to care) that i want to do means that any other major would be much less sensible than an intensive CS and Electronics major. Though I have not ruled out switching to a degree in Computer Systems Engineering.

Bah! Not just the toys! LOL! :lol:

I don't really have many other examples than from sci-fi books & movies, but the kinds of things I see happening (or at least possible) in the next few decades are:

- the spiders from Minority Report (great for use in collapsed buildings looking for trapped surviors, etc.)

- the maintenence droids from Star Wars (things that roll around, delivering packages in skyscrapers, performing little mundane tasks)

- the computer from Star Trek: TNG (voice-responsive, speech emulation, rapid access to information within a massive database)

What about robots that can travel underground sewer & water lines looking for and repairing leeks?

The military has been using remote control robotic helicopters in the field (I read a story about one being used to shoot up a limo full of al-Qaeda operatives!). How long before they're semi-autonomous?

Stephen Baxter wrote about "Smart Drive", where cars drove themselves safely while on the highway.

This kind of stuff.

I'm just looking forward to a day when robots are whirring and buzzing all around.

I definitely think that we need more robots. But before we can have them, we need to learn how to build them. If we could, we already had them, right?

lol, You'd be surprised if you knew what we had..

as a taste check out ..hmm, www.kurzweilai.net. There should be something good there.