Objectivism Online Forum

Individual 929757573004945959

Rate this topic

I used to assume that if someone read the same thing I read, and they said they "agreed with it" or "liked it," then they believed as I did, and probably even had similar tastes.

I didn't notice myself making this assumption, of course. By the time I figured out what I was doing, I'd made some decisions that I wouldn't have otherwise. (If you're at all clever, that last sentence was an easy exercise in reading between the lines.)

The reason I decided to spend some time reading and participating in this board, is to train myself to stop automatically inferring things about people who "like Ayn Rand."

I used to assume that if someone read the same thing I read, and they said they "agreed with it" or "liked it," then they believed as I did, and probably even had similar tastes.
A common misconception.

By the time I figured out what I was doing, I'd made some decisions...
I hope they're reversible ones.

The reason I decided to spend some time reading and participating in this board, is to train myself to stop automatically inferring things about people who "like Ayn Rand."
You came to the right place :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

I didn't notice myself making this assumption, of course. By the time I figured out what I was doing, I'd made some decisions that I wouldn't have otherwise. (If you're at all clever, that last sentence was an easy exercise in reading between the lines.)

Well, welcome to the boards. Im sure that you will not have too much trouble training yourself to do this.

Why are you named after a potted plant?

Well, I didn't want to use my real name, because I wanted to be relatively free to discuss personal events and issues without worrying about protecting other people's privacy. But I'm not attached enough to a particular word or phrase to make it my 'nym, so I decided to pick one that had as few connotations and extraneous meanings as possible.

--Schefflera

Connotations like "I am a shrub" are okay? :)

I'm giving you a hard time. I just find it kind of amusing.

I find it amusing, too. It wouldn't have been as funny if I had called myself Dracaena Warneckii or Chamaedora Elegans.

--Schefflera

As I am in landscaping, ...

What kind of landscaping are you in? Are you stuck in a hedge? hiding in a topiary? standing knee-deep in overgrown groundcover?

--Schefflera