Objectivism Online Forum

Introducing Objectivism to Others

Rate this topic

How many people have you successfully introduced to Objectivism?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you successfully introduced to Objectivism?

• 9 or more

I have been wondering about how many people here have successfully introduced Objectivism to others. I was going to use the word "converted" but its too closely associated with religion. This does not necessarily mean that the people you introduced Objectivism to became full blown Objectivists...even getting them to become Students of Objectivism would be a feat. :P

Now I know many here are students themselves so let's all put that into context if there are a lot of zeros...as is my case. Also I'm interested to know how many people you've tried (7 here) and why? For those who've had success, what specific things did you try? My thought is that those who started clubs at school or their community probably had the highest numbers...but we'll see. It would also be great if everyone shared their experiences.

As for my story, the 7 people I tried ranged from nurses to physics and chemistry majors. I went for people who I knew liked to discuss intellectual topics and were even semi-interested in philosophy. Unfortunately only 2 of the 7 read the books (the fiction ones) and their interest seemed to stop there. I'll keep trying though and as I learn more will hopefully have better success. :lol:

I am English and live in England - which is a considerably more left-leaning culture than in the States, so the chances of even getting someone to listen to the idea of Objectivism is hard enough. I do have to say that it was not the ideas of Ayn Rand which originally attracted me - but her style of writing. Once I had read "The Fountainhead" I passed the book on to two friends - really only because I liked the style of it. Meanwhile, I grew to be more interested in the philosophy behind it and read "Atlas Shrugged". By the time they had finished "The Fountainhead", I had learnt enough of the philosophy to talk through what Ayn Rand had referenced in her fiction.

This seems to me to be the most effective way of letting someone know about Objectivism. Although one of the friends on to whom I passed "The Fountainhead" remains a firmly committed wooly-headed liberal - it has however given her the opportunity to see the other side of the coin, and she does admit that it did make her look at things differently.

I do not want to prosthlystise (sic?) but I do want people to know what I think to be the cleanest and purest rationale I know - and I think that simply passing Ayn Rand's work on is the best way.

I can't put a number to mine. In high school, I "successfully introduced" one person, who "successfully introduced" his girlfriend...but they drifted away from Objectivism after we all went off to college. On the other hand, I introduced Objectivism to my best friend at the time, and while she never became an Objectivist, many of Rand's ideas became permanently integrated with her character.

My brother is now a student of Objectivism.

I don't really work to spread Objectivism in my personal life anymore. The bulk of the influence I've had is through blogging. I've received somewhere between 5-10 emails over the years from people saying I turned them on to Objectivism. Now, whatever became of those people? I have no idea.

I think my biggest contribution has been, not in "making converts," but in helping young Objectivists gain a better understanding of the philosophy. I think that's even more important, because that's what keeps them Objectivists -- getting their questions answered.

Which I guess is a long way of saying "I don't know."

Don Watkins

From a country where Objectisvism really is not so well known asit is in America, I do think the best way - here at least - is simply to let people know that it has something to say. The difficulty, so innured are people against some of the tenets of Objectivist thought that they cannot see that its central message is a valid one - unfortunately if this is the case, if they are willing to blind themselves to the truth - there is little one can do, other than talk 'til one's blue in the face. Does anyone else know? - I mean, I am happy to debate things with people who are willing to listen -but you often simply find that people will not even try and see the simplest things - they simply dismiss (over here at least) as anything Objectivist as Thatcherite (in which they are wrong) or wickedly Right-wing (hence downright evil).

Sometimes you feel like :D when trying to even make someone understand Objectivism. They say " its not practical" or "balance is the only way." And The frustrating part is speaking about it with people that can't comprehend even the smallest amount of philosophy. You can't even get terms straight and such.

I agree with David. One needs to simply pass on the books first to ground people in the ideas. Then try to discuss them after they've been read. That's what worked for me...

I've had the good fortune of being able to "convert" my cousin to Objectivism by suggesting Atlas Shrugged while I was still in the process of reading it. As soon as I had encountered some of the philosophy, I told him it was quickly becoming the best book I had read. He is probably the most intelligent person I know, in the truest form of the word (excercising one's ability to use logic and reason), so I felt confident in introducing the book, since I knew he'd get something out of it. Since a couple of people he talked to over the web had already suggested the book, he decided to check it out.

He just happened to be moving in with my family temporarily around the time he started reading Atlas, and as he came to appreciate the book more and more, we would discuss the tenets of Objectivism (and their lack of application in society). He has since applied a few of them. I don't believe he has made anywhere near a total transition, but it really stuck with him.

We have both introduced a few other people to the book, the most successful introduction being my cousin's. He gave it to a friend who was actually smart enough to proclaim, "I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet." He kept the copy and said he would take a look at it.

As Don mentioned, the most important thing is better understanding. I was glad to have my cousin around to bounce ideas off of. I think that often what people aren't likely to realize when being introduced to Objectivism is the fundamental basis for it, that this is not something to believe in like all the others, but is rather about using your power of reason to know.

I think that often what people aren't likely to realize when being introduced to Objectivism is the fundamental basis for it, that this is not something to believe in like all the others, but is rather about using your power of reason to know.

That was very eloquently put. I am seriously considering starting a blog. I'm also going to seek out anyone interested in Ayn Rand once I get to UCLA. The replies here have been really interesting and helpful. Thanks all

I have finally convinced my best friend that Objectivism is the way to go.

You see, for most of his life, he beleived in many of the key ideas, as did I. But recently after I became an Objectivist, I started trying to convince him his beleif system was not entirely consistent or well thought out.

So, after a few weeks (which were actually spread out over a number of weeks) of explaining, demonstrating, and debating Objectivist theory, he came to see that I was right.

Recently he told me, after I reminded him about the key points of Objectivism, that he had been an Objectivist for a little while without realising. I smiled at this, I had decided to leave it up to him to realise this, as I knew he would eventually.

• 3 weeks later...
I have finally convinced my best friend that Objectivism is the way to go.

You see, for most of his life, he beleived in many of the key ideas, as did I. But recently after I became an Objectivist, I started trying to convince him his beleif system was not entirely consistent or well thought out.

So, after a few weeks (which were actually spread out over a number of weeks) of explaining, demonstrating, and debating Objectivist theory, he came to see that I was right.

Recently he told me, after I reminded him about the key points of Objectivism, that he had been an Objectivist for a little while without realising. I smiled at this, I had decided to leave it up to him to realise this, as I knew he would eventually.

And now he has inflicted himself upon you all, in the form of DragonMaci....

• 4 weeks later...

I was not yet an objectivist at the time but I traded We the Living to a good friend of mine some years ago and he is now a student of objectivism.

I insisted upon another friend of mine that she read the first chapter of Philosophy: Who Needs It? because i felt (and still feel) that she has a very strong sense of life with very little direction philosophically. Her comments were "That's fascinating..." She is still pretty bankrupt but I think I kindled a fire.

A friend of mine noticed that I was reading a book called The Virtue of Selfishness on a bus a few weeks ago and was completely appalled until I talked to her about the nature of ethics for about 45 min on the bus. I think she is still a Mormon but I learned a great deal about her. She came up with conclusions as if she already knew them. I mean, without even my saying anything outside "No, no love is a very selfish thing." her response:"So if a man does nothing for his wife he's not really being greedy he just has no integrity." (She even used that word) also things like "No way man, I've never really bought into that crap. I can't stand the thought that I'm not allowed to be happy for me." It was like the altrusit philosophy she had implicitly accepted was supported by nothing more than a twig.

I guess those all count as introductions but only the first was really successful.