Objectivism Online Forum

The Literary Method of Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

Michero

I've been thinking of buying this, only because some of Branden's writing like in VOS was good.  I'm not sure however about his writing while not under the watchful eye of Rand.  Has anyone read this?  Do you think it's worth a look?

I've not read this particular book, but my experience with Branden's writing is that it becomes progressively less valuable the later it was produced. The Psychology of Self-Esteem is pretty good. More recent books like The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem and The Art of Living Consciously are much worse.

If you're interested in discussions of Rand's literary methods, I'd suggest reading The Art of Fiction, The Art of Non-Fiction, Essays on Ayn Rand's We The Living and Essays on Ayn Rand's Anthem instead of anything by Branden.

I've been thinking of buying this, only because some of Branden's writing like in VOS was good.  I'm not sure however about his writing while not under the watchful eye of Rand.  Has anyone read this?  Do you think it's worth a look?

This particular essay was written "under the watchful eye of Ayn Rand." It's from his book, "Who is Ayn Rand?" which I published in the early 1960s. As to how valuable it is, I haven't read it in a long time so can't say.