Objectivism Online Forum

Your Favorite Color

Rate this topic

Color can bring about certain emotions and feelings. They do this by reminding you of other instances (not the instance its self, but rather your feelings toward it) in your life when you felt a particular way and that color was some how involved, at least enough to make of think of it at a later date. Events in your life can persuade your opinions of a color, movies you’ve seen, paintings you’ve looked at, natural events (fire, snow), etc., you get the idea. The relationship of colors and their meanings varies slightly between cultures and individuals but for the most part the tend to remain the same.

So being that most of us are stated objectivists, I was wondering what everyone’s favorite color was. Here is where you can find the meanings behind most colors. ColorWheelPro (this company is located in Canada, just to give you an idea of the culture around them)

My favorite color is Dark Blue.

My favourite colour is light blue. It reminds me of the sky, and each time I look up at the sky, I think to myself "Not even the skies the limit to what we can achieve. We can fly planes, and even goto the moon."

As such, it is a colour that I associate with achievement of new and incredible things. It is also a colour I associate with curiousity & exploring.

Red is a very emotionally intense color. It enhances human metabolism, increases respiration rate, and raises blood pressure. It has very high visibility, which is why stop signs, stoplights, and fire equipment are usually painted red. In heraldry, red is used to indicate courage. It is a color found in many national flags.

Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.

I added the underlines.

If these two analysis of the effects of color are true, what happens when you are in natural light where both frequencies are present? I do not believe that color produces such effects unless they can give you an equation that proves the resultant effect where both colors are present.

Green as in eyes is my favorite color.

If these two analysis of the effects of color are true, what happens when you are in natural light where both frequencies are present?

I don't think that the presence of the colors is significant. It is the consideration/value judgment of the color (subconsciously or otherwise).

Tell me if I am wrong Joe, but the judgment one makes of two or more differnent colors at once is probably more heavily weighted on their contrast than their standalone properties. So the judgment of red and blue, next to each other, might have nothing to do with the judgment of either red or blue by themselves.

That’s correct Richard Halley, when one perceives more than one color and those colors contain opposite properties, as perceived by a particular individual, it only makes sense that the person would be drawn to that obvious contrast, consciously or subconsciously. However, note that colors that are perceived to be similar in characteristics tend to viewed as supporting each other, often individually, it is really all up to the individual and their judgment as you put it.

I don’t hold any strong importance to color itself within my everyday life. I examine them very closely because I am a graphic design student and it is important that I understand them in order to get the best result out of my designs, but in my everyday life I do not place a strong significance upon them alone. So in other words the only importance I put on colors is the value that I can extract from them by way of my knowledge about them, and then how I can put that color to use in order to benefit my life (i.e. the importance of my mind at work).

If the color of you favorite football team was red then that makes a lot of sense that you would be partial toward that color. In the past you have always thought of positive things when you saw that color, most likely because of that football team.

• 4 months later...

my favorite color is sky blue, and i was just thinking how my prom dress was a perfect sleek red and black. a red underslip with a sheer black thing over it with a few sequins. it was exactly what i was looking for, just a little too long. still bought it tho.

I like color combinations:

Red, white, and blue

White, gray, and sky blue or turquoise

Tan and yellow

Black and white

Sky blue and yellow

Orange, brown, and yellow

White and blue

Gold and black

Silver and black

AND I DON'T LIKE

Anything with pink

Anything with purple

I like a certain shade of blue I used to design my father's company's web page. It's darker than shades on this forum and there's some red and green involved too.

I also like combinations of blue and silver, blue and white.

And I like green, but not too bright or too dark. I used to use this shade of green in combination with blue for web design.

I love a brilliant orange color. I saw it again tonight when I was driving home on the freeway at the perfect time. The sun was about to set behind the mountains but right before it does it just shines into every little corner and bathes everything in this gloriously warm orange color and lights up the lines of the mountains.

I don't associate that color with the things mentioned on that color wheel site though. To me, that color is warmth and beauty. It's just extacy every time I see it, it's like a glorification of everything I am every time I stand in it. One of the things that never fails to make me smile.

My favorite color combo is green and purple. Not just any green and purple, though, but a rich, dark (but not muddy) combination. (Although a very light patel version of these can also be nice).

My favorite single color is aqua -- and no, not because that was Ayn Rand's favorite color. I associate aqua with the color of early 80's Yamaha synthesizers' trim. It's such a clean, crisp color.

i've never had a permanent favorite color. for about 7 years i loved blue...all shades of it. then last year i was into scarlet red...and now this year i'm into both gray and pink. i love gray/silver! i keep looking at cars that color. I like a touch of pink here and there...it just reminds me of delicate roses. I've never really liked purple or brown.

I've always loved blue, mostly light and medium shades with dark contrasts. I'm only refering to "pure" shades of blue not those mixed with other elementary colors (With violet or green for example, but in some circumstances they can assist in supplying balance, context depending). Such a crisp clean color blue is.

As a highlight to all that blue I prefer silver or white, again depending.