Objectivism Online Forum

Your Favorite Color

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I like yellow because it is bright and cheerful. (I even have a yellow car!) It's even better combined with a little black.

" Yellow

Yellow is the color of sunshine. It's associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy.

Yellow produces a warming effect, arouses cheerfulness, stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy. Yellow is often associated with food. Bright, pure yellow is an attention getter, which is the reason taxicabs are painted this color. When overused, yellow may have a disturbing effect; it is known that babies cry more in yellow rooms. Yellow is seen before other colors when placed against black; this combination is often used to issue a warning. In heraldry, yellow indicates honor and loyalty. Later the meaning of yellow was connected with cowardice.

Use yellow to evoke pleasant, cheerful feelings. You can choose yellow to promote children's products and items related to leisure. Yellow is very effective for attracting attention, so use it to highlight the most important elements of your design. Men usually perceive yellow as a very lighthearted, 'childish' color, so it is not recommended to use yellow when selling prestigious, expensive products to men – nobody will buy a yellow business suit or a yellow Mercedes. Yellow is an unstable and spontaneous color, so avoid using yellow if you want to suggest stability and safety. Light yellow tends to disappear into white, so it usually needs a dark color to highlight it. Shades of yellow are visually unappealing because they loose cheerfulness and become dingy.

Dull (dingy) yellow represents caution, decay, sickness, and jealousy.

Light yellow is associated with intellect, freshness, and joy."

I have two favorite colors that I like for very different reasons.

I love a rich, throbbing burgundy-red, for its deep, saturated intensity. I also love a lighter, cleaner blue-green - it's more active and energetic, yet calmer, somehow. A clean seashore to complement molten lava, perhaps.

I'm also extremely fond of the range of colors possible in blues and reds, particularly in clothing.

I love the rich variation and power in color as such, and in most color. One exception that I almost always hate is what I consider pukish not-quite-neon yellow-green. (Yet somehow the color doesn't bother me as much next to certain dark-skinned complexions, and never in nature - it only looks as bothersome to me in synthetic material.)