Objectivism Online Forum

Katrina Rabble Sightings

Rate this topic

Dismuke

A couple of people have told me about how the welfare state refugees from Hurricane Katrina have become quite visible at local Wal-mart stores. I am told that they stand out like sore thumbs because they wear arm bands, have recognizable Louisiana accents, are rude, pushy,obnoxious and demanding towards store employees and fellow customers and many of them can be found purchasing the more expensive items in the Electronics Department.

I guess that means that FEMA has started activating those $2,000 debit cards that WE have to pay for. Our tax dollars at work.

Supposedly the Wal-marts on I-30 near Grand Prairie and the one on 183 in Irving have been especially hit hard by it - probably because of the easy access to Reunion Arena. I was actually in a Wal-Mart Supercenter a couple of days ago and did not notice anything unusual - but it was in Southwest Fort Worth far away from the refugee centers and I was a bit out of it with a bad cold.

I really hate to say it - but somehow I don't think we are going to be exposed to similar scenes as we saw in New Orleans if Rita ends up slamming hard into Galveston/Houston as some are predicting and which hopefully will not happen. I have never been to New Orleans - but I have been told by a number of people over the years that it was basically like a Third World country with a few quaint tourist areas mixed in. Texas may not be one of the most scenic or culturally rich areas of the country - but it is, by far, one of the more SANE parts of the country I have been to.

My brief experience with a Katrina refuge:

I was getting a haircut in Arlington when a ragged man barged in, said that he had just spent three days in the water, and demanded to be treated to the most expensive item on the list. Now, I understand his condition, and if I were the barber, I might offer free haircuts to refugees too, but this guy just reeked of the entitlement mentality. I suspect this is the case – and the cause - with many of the refuges.

On another note, I am just amazed at the number of Louisiana license plates I see everywhere. It’s incredible how many people must be displaced by the storms.

My only experience with katrina refugees have been rather confused people I have had to deal with at work, trying to find a payphone to contact relatives, friends, or just a local contact for their work.

There have been a few of these. I work in downtown Dallas (The Fountainplace, for now) and they seem to be rather polite, just confused. I have not seen any of the type described previously. But I should also note that I have not been to wal-mart since before Katrina hit (I hate - HATE - shopping, I do it at most once a month and gather enough supplies to last as long as possible.)

• 2 weeks later...
I have never been to New Orleans - but I have been told by a number of people over the years that it was basically like a Third World country with a few quaint tourist areas mixed in. Texas may not be one of the most scenic or culturally rich areas of the country - but it is, by far, one of the more SANE parts of the country I have been to.

Your assesment of New Orleans, and La. in general is correct. Except for maybe New Jersey, it's government officials are some of the most corrupt in the nation.

Your assesment of New Orleans, and La. in general is correct. Except for maybe New Jersey, it's government officials are some of the most corrupt in the nation.

New Jersey is actually on my list of potential places to live (because of its proximity to New York City). Would you mind telling me more about the corruption there?

New Jersey is actually on my list of potential places to live (because of its proximity to New York City). Would you mind telling me more about the corruption there?

It's just what I've heard. I've never been there and I could be wrong.

One concrete instance that comes to mind is when the Governor of New Jersey had to quit because he hired his former lover as the state's homeland security honcho, even though his lover was not in any way qualified for the job. That governor was widely regarded as a crook, and decided to "come out of the closet", and claim that he was being persecuted for being gay, in order to divert attention from his crookedness. (If I recall correctly.)

I've also just generally heard that New Jersey has a reputation for being mafia-controlled, but maybe that's just the Hollywood version of the state.

• 6 months later...
A couple of people have told me about how the welfare state refugees from Hurricane Katrina have become quite visible at local Wal-mart stores. I am told that they stand out like sore thumbs because they wear arm bands, have recognizable Louisiana accents, are rude, pushy,obnoxious and demanding towards store employees and fellow customers and many of them can be found purchasing the more expensive items in the Electronics Department.

I guess that means that FEMA has started activating those $2,000 debit cards that WE have to pay for. Our tax dollars at work.

Supposedly the Wal-marts on I-30 near Grand Prairie and the one on 183 in Irving have been especially hit hard by it - probably because of the easy access to Reunion Arena. I was actually in a Wal-Mart Supercenter a couple of days ago and did not notice anything unusual - but it was in Southwest Fort Worth far away from the refugee centers and I was a bit out of it with a bad cold.

I really hate to say it - but somehow I don't think we are going to be exposed to similar scenes as we saw in New Orleans if Rita ends up slamming hard into Galveston/Houston as some are predicting and which hopefully will not happen. I have never been to New Orleans - but I have been told by a number of people over the years that it was basically like a Third World country with a few quaint tourist areas mixed in. Texas may not be one of the most scenic or culturally rich areas of the country - but it is, by far, one of the more SANE parts of the country I have been to.

I was surfing the net the other day when I stumbled upon some disturbing generalizations about me! Well, not exactly about me, but if you are from Louisiana, you can't help but take this kind of garbage personally. And yeah, I know it’s old stuff but I believe this perception continues to exist in some corners and since I cannot find an apology, follow up or retraction from the author, a person from Ft. Worth, TX who calls himself “Dismuke”; I figured—Blog it. I mean, hell, it’s still sitting there today for anyone to read. It is still as hurtful, insulting and distasteful today as it was the day it was posted. And—I just got plain angry and decided if “Dismuke” wanted to put this out there for people to read, then I would assist him.

I will also use this as a reminder to myself as to why I do this (Blogging) as well as to remind those who want to exercise their freedom of speech that it works both ways. So think first before you exercise that freedom—because we are listening and we are watching and we will exercise our freedom to respond. And we are somewhat articulate considering we are from Louisiana.

A closer examination of “Dismuke’s” remarks is quite revealing:

First paragraph, First line: “A couple of people have told me…..”

First paragraph, Second line: “I am told that they stand out like sore thumbs……….”

Fourth Paragraph, Second line: “…..I have never been to New Orleans - but I have been told by a number of people over the years that it was basically like a Third World country."

Obviously, Dismuke is “Told” a lot of things and he “Guesses” based on what he “Hears” and thus he forms an opinion based on these factors. He also enjoys posting distasteful emails that he finds “Rather amusing”.

As for promulgating a picture you found making the email rounds depicting a “Class of people” that you seem to think characterizes the population of Louisiana; I assure you, with one “shameful” Google search I can one up you many more times with pictures and stories depicting Texans unkindly. Enron's Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling come to mind. If only they had looted liquor stores rather than the saving plans of their employees.

Dismuke, you really need to get out a little and try experiencing things first hand. And I know a lot of people are suffering from “Katrina fatigue” but dude, you got “fatigued” pretty fast! While you were posting your comments, we were finding one hundred bodies per week. We are only finding one per week now. (Still missing one thousand people though)

Oh! And “Dismuke” Here’s a “rather amusing” quote from one of your fellow Texans and no, it isn’t from George W. Bush. (There is so much material from “W.”, I would need the pay version of this Blog for more space).

"Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" – Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 9, 2005.

To Tom Delay: May you rot in hell or better yet, in a Federal prison with a 300 lb. cell mate named Bubba who is very affectionate.

And as for you Dismuke; like us or not, if terrorists ever attack Ft. Worth, I along with my fellow New Orleanians and our friends from the Mississippi Gulf Coast will be standing by your side fighting with all we have so that we may remain one united and secure country called the United States.

And when the battle has been won, we shall then leave.

Soulf of New Orleans BlogSpot

I'm personally glad Katrina wiped out that wasteland known as New Orleans. Hopefully, it NEVER is rebuilt. Wish it would have hit Iran too.

Dangle, I don't know what your knowledge/stance of Objectivism is, but I hope that you don't leave associating it with quotes like this. I don't support government-mandated rescue funding any more than the other people on this site, but a casual disregard for human life is not something supported by Objectivist philosophy.

Dangle, regardless of Kevin's ignorant comment above-- I was not supporting "a casual disregard for human life" as he asserts but happiness that a leftist hell-hole that was filled with crack-attacks, thiefs, and violent criminals was wiped off the earth.

Dangle (and people always tell me that "Dismuke is a strange and odd name!!) also sent me an email with a link to his posting which he put up at his blog at

http://soulofneworleans.blogspot.com/2006/...o-print_24.html

Gee - I had almost forgotten all about the postings I put up in this thread. Kind of neat that people still read postings of mine that I no longer remember. Anyhow, I came here to respond to Dangle's little rant - and I am pleased to see that he has made my job easier by eliminating the necessity of my establishing the context of his blog posting.

I was surfing the net the other day when I stumbled upon some disturbing generalizations about me! Well, not exactly about me, but if you are from Louisiana, you can't help but take this kind of garbage personally.

Perhaps the public school system in that third world welfare state known as pre-Katrina New Orleans was even worse than the pathetic system here in Texas in terms of teaching reading comprehension because Dangle is reading into my posting stuff that simply is not there.

I made no generalizations whatsoever about people from Louisiana or even people from New Orleans. My comments were directed entirely at a particular subset of the population which was dislocated by the storm: those who were wards of that city's welfare rolls. In fact, even that is too broad of a description of the subset of the population that I was referring to. As is the case in any welfare state, there were undoubtedly many people in New Orleans who were trapped in the poverty that was created by the very welfare state that was allegedly designed to help them and were hindered from rising above it by the lack of opportunity in the stagnating economy of a city that had been dying and in decline for decades as a result of corrupt politicians and the welfare state which made their existence possible in the first place.

Responsible people in New Orleans knew that such a hurricane was a possibility and prepared and insured themselves accordingly. Many did not need $2,000 FEMA payments extracted from other taxpayers by force in order to rebuild their lives. Of those that did need and accepted the $2,000, those who were responsible did not blow the money, which was intended to give them a helping hand at rebuilding their lives, on a shopping spree in the Wal-mart electronics department. I wonder how many of those big screen television sets and other gadgets are now sitting in pawn shops as a result of having been hocked for beer and cigarette money? How's that for a "hurtful, insulting and distasteful" comment?

If Dangle takes any of my remarks personally - well that just illustrates the type of crowd he apparently identifies himself with. Productive and rational individuals from Louisiana and New Orleans are going to have the same outrage and disgust at the behavior of the Katrina rabble as do people from other parts of the country - probably more so due to the fact that they have had to put up with them for much longer and have had to subsidize them through their state and local taxes in addition to the federal taxes the rest of us are forced to fork over.

And yeah, I know it’s old stuff but I believe this perception continues to exist in some corners and since I cannot find an apology, follow up or retraction from the author, a person from Ft. Worth, TX who calls himself “Dismuke”; I figured—Blog it. I mean, hell, it’s still sitting there today for anyone to read. It is still as hurtful, insulting and distasteful today as it was the day it was posted. And—I just got plain angry and decided if “Dismuke” wanted to put this out there for people to read, then I would assist him.
The reason there is no apology or retraction, Dangle, is because there is nothing for me to apologize for or that needs to be retracted.

I will also use this as a reminder to myself as to why I do this (Blogging) as well as to remind those who want to exercise their freedom of speech that it works both ways. So think first before you exercise that freedom—because we are listening and we are watching and we will exercise our freedom to respond. And we are somewhat articulate considering we are from Louisiana.

If I had a problem with people reading my comments, I would not have posted them to a heavily trafficked Message Board in the first place. So I am not sure why you suspect I would have a problem with them being read by the audience of a not-so-heavily-trafficked (if the lack of hits on a google link-in query are any indication) blog.

Dangle is very much like a typical Leftist: he apparently regards his world view as being self-evident and unquestionable and, therefore, any point of view which does not fit into his world view is something that one should automatically wish to hide or somehow be ashamed of. If you wish to live in such a bubble, Dangle, that's your problem, not mine.

A closer examination of “Dismuke’s” remarks is quite revealing:

First paragraph, First line: “A couple of people have told me…..”

First paragraph, Second line: “I am told that they stand out like sore thumbs……….”

Fourth Paragraph, Second line: “…..I have never been to New Orleans - but I have been told by a number of people over the years that it was basically like a Third World country."

Obviously, Dismuke is “Told” a lot of things and he “Guesses” based on what he “Hears” and thus he forms an opinion based on these factors. He also enjoys posting distasteful emails that he finds “Rather amusing”.

Dangle takes me to task for relying on and passing on second-hand information - but observe that he never attempts to actually refute a single word of what I wrote. (And, no, Dangle, taking pot shots at Ken Lay, Tom DeLay and GWB does NOT constitute a refutation of the comments in my posting.)

Notice that Dangle does not ask about nor challenge the credibility of the sources from which I got my information about the behavior of the Katrina rabble in Wal-mart or of what conditions in pre-Katrina New Orleans were like. Whether or not one's evidence is first hand or from second hand sources is relevant only when there are grounds to challenge the evidence - which Dangle is apparently unable to do otherwise he would presumably have done so.

The simple fact is, however, that Katrina evacuees were given $2,000 debit cards funded by dollars confiscated by force from taxpayers. It is a simple fact that after the debit cards were activated, the electronics stores (and liquor stores) in Texas and other states surrounding Louisiana did a booming business as a result. It is also a fact that many (not all, of course) wards of the welfare state go through life with an entitlement mentality and that such a mentality was on full display in cities where such wards fled to. It is also a well reported fact that cities that took in large numbers of such wards of the welfare state had an immediate and, in some cases, ongoing crime wave as a result.

You may not like those facts, Dangle - but they are facts. And saying that I am "hurtful, insulting and distasteful" for pointing those facts does not wipe them out or make it intellectually permissible for you to evade them. Once again, you sound like a typical Leftist whose basic premise is the primacy of emotion over fact.

As for promulgating a picture you found making the email rounds depicting a “Class of people” that you seem to think characterizes the population of Louisiana; I assure you, with one “shameful” Google search I can one up you many more times with pictures and stories depicting Texans unkindly. Enron's Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling come to mind. If only they had looted liquor stores rather than the saving plans of their employees.

I almost felt a twang of empathy for you, Dangle, until I got to this point in your posting. I can kind-of sort-of understand how regional pride might make one a bit oversensitive about how a city one loves is being portrayed. But as soon as you started talking about Ken Lay, Tom Delay, GWB - well (yawn) you sound like just another Kool Aid drinker of whatever loony Leftist conspiracy theory talking point happens to be the current flavor of the month.

And if you think that I would somehow feel some sort of affinity towards Ken Lay because he happens to live in the same state that I do - well that reveals more about your your mind operates than mine. I personally have zero opinion about Ken Lay as to whether or not he is guilty of defrauding people. That's for a jury to look into and decide. If he is, he should go to jail. The fact that the news media and the Left says he is guilty means nothing to me. But I do have an observation about Ken Lay: has anyone noticed that one almost never hears the people who scream the loudest about people such as Ken Lay screaming equally loud about thugs such as Hugo Chavez or Fidel Castro who hold much more power over many more people's heads and who have destroyed far more economic assets, let alone people's lives, than Ken Lay ever has? If Ken Lay is corrupt and dishonest and evil - what does that make Chavez or Castro? Where's the outrage from the Lefties? Can it be that it is not corruption and abuse of power that the Left is opposed to but rather the fact that the power rests in someone's hands other than their own? A little something for you to think about, Dangle.

Dismuke, you really need to get out a little and try experiencing things first hand. And I know a lot of people are suffering from “Katrina fatigue” but dude, you got “fatigued” pretty fast! While you were posting your comments, we were finding one hundred bodies per week. We are only finding one per week now. (Still missing one thousand people though)
Except that I see right through your little attempt at a guilt trip - sorry to disappoint you, but it ain't going to work on me.

I bear zero responsibility for the fact that people died in that hurricane. And while it is very sad and extremely tragic that lives were lost - I certainly don't feel guilty about it. In some cases, such deaths were simply tragedies of nature - hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes are powerful and sometimes lethal events and no person can be held responsible for the deaths that arise from them. And if you do wish to assign moral blame to the deaths that occurred as a result of Katrina - perhaps you need to look in your own back yard. It is no secret that New Orleans was at risk in the event of a hurricane - people have been warning about such a disaster for decades. Perhaps you ought to assign some of the blame to corrupt local officials who squandered and pocketed money sent to New Orleans for flood protection but which was spent on anything but. Perhaps you ought to assign some of the blame to those victims who did not prepare themselves for an emergency which was a well-publicized eventuality and instead depended on the Nanny State and parastic politicians to take care of them. Perhaps you ought to assign some of the blame the able bodied survivors who simply waited for the government to take care of them thereby diverting manpower and resources away from those who DID need such assistance and were unable to provide for themselves such as the infirm, the elderly etc. Perhaps you ought to blame your racist mayor for being such an incompetent boob (yes, I said racist - imagine the entirely justifiable outrage that would have erupted had a white mayor of a Texas city referred to New Orleans as a "chocolate city.") or your thoroughly inept airhead deer-in-the-headlights governor whose primary response to the impending disaster was to pray. Perhaps you ought to place the blame on the welfare state that transformed so many of your city's inhabitants into mindless rabble utterly incapable of taking care of themselves and totally dependent on their political masters to take look after their most basic of necessities and to tell them to flee from an approaching hurricane.

Oh! And “Dismuke” Here’s a “rather amusing” quote from one of your fellow Texans and no, it isn’t from George W. Bush. (There is so much material from “W.”, I would need the pay version of this Blog for more space).

"Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" – Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 9, 2005.

Uhhmmm. Whatever one may think of Tom DeLay, the man is certainly a shrewd politician and would be unlikely to make such a quote unless it was intended as sarcasm or was made in a context that you have deliberately omitted to suite your purposes.

Furthermore, unlike you, I don't do not regard an attack on someone from Texas as being an attack on me personally. I have known lots of people from Texas who were complete scumbags. The fact that they happened to reside in the same state that I do is relevant to me only in that it is what made it possible for me to unfortunately be acquainted with them in the first place.

To Tom Delay: May you rot in hell or better yet, in a Federal prison with a 300 lb. cell mate named Bubba who is very affectionate.
Watch out, Dangle! Your premises are showing!

Once again you sound very much like today's neo-Stalinist leftists: they are utterly incapable of being effective in the realm of ideas, facts and logic so their only recourse is to rabble rouse, shout louder than everyone else and, above all, attempt to criminalize and jail their political enemies - which is apparently perfectly ok with you. A bit of friendly advice, Dangle: watch out what you ask for, you may end up getting it in ways that you never anticipated. Consider the fate of the vast majority of your ideological Comrades and fellow travelers in 1910s and 1920s Russia - they too sought to outlaw and jail (or worse) their political opposition and they succeeded. Dangle, most of them ended up being murdered by the firing squads of one of their own - Joseph Stalin. You and your buddies may someday discover that the very same power you lust after to jail Tom DeLay may be turned against you. And don't count on people like me to speak up for you - they probably won't go after you until people such as those you will find on this forum have long since been silenced, jailed or liquidated and the power struggle becomes primarily internal.

And as for you Dismuke; like us or not, if terrorists ever attack Ft. Worth, I along with my fellow New Orleanians and our friends from the Mississippi Gulf Coast will be standing by your side fighting with all we have so that we may remain one united and secure country called the United States.

Well, I am glad that you will at least be on the side of the United States and not on the side that creatures such as Jacques Kerry, Cindy Sheehan, Ted Kennedy and Hugo Chavez have been on during this current war and in previous wars - i.e. the side of murderous totalitarian thugs.

I am afraid, however, that you are talking about apples and oranges. Hurricanes are a fact of life on the Gulf Coast. If one lives there, one does so with the full knowledge of the risk that comes with it. If one is not prepared to take that risk or is not prepared to plan for and face the eventual consequences, one should choose to live elsewhere. The fact that some people refuse to take responsibility for their own situation is not anybody else's problem other than their own. A hurricane hitting a city can be very destructive and the consequences tragic - but nobody's rights are violated by it.

A terrorist attack is an act of murder, pure and simple.

And when the battle has been won, we shall then leave.
Yes, please do leave, and quickly. The last thing most people in Fort Worth would want is for their city to be transformed into a third world welfare state along the lines of pre-Katrina New Orleans. And, even worse, I would be very much afraid that your corrupt politicians might attempt to loot what would be left in all the rubble in order to funnel it back home to their constituents as a down payment on votes for the next election. After all, funneling handouts to their constituents is all that corrupt welfare state politicians are good for and know how to do. And, in your state, I am afraid, they are experts at it and far more corrupt than most.

Oh, by the way, Dangle, if you had done a little bit more surfing on the OO Forum, you would have actually found a posting of mine that you would probably have agreed with. Of course, I intended it as sarcasm - but if you would just evade the fact that I said it was sarcasm, I am sure it would fit into your world view quite nicely:

In response to Bold Standard's joking observation that his evacuation from Houston during Hurricane Rita was somewhat anti-climatic I wrote:

Gee - don't you know who is to blame for the fact that a nearby school or church was not decimated? It's all George Bush's fault. When that hurricane headed towards New Orleans, George Bush did jack diddly SQUAT to stop it because New Orleans is a Chocolate City where everyone votes for Democrats. But when a hurricane was heading towards Houston - well, do you think that he was going to allow it to hit a town where his Mom and Poppy live, a town which votes Republican and where his greedy selfish millionaire oil buddies all live? Houston was also the home town of Enron - the second letter of which is "N" as in Nazi. Enron was headed up by a man named Ken Lay - who, along with Tom DeLay, also from Houston, has a name similar to a brand of potato chip, Lay's, which is made by a company called Frito-Lay which is based in Texas. Do you think that this is a mere coincidence? If John Kerry had been president, he would have let the hurricane hit Houston out of fairness to New Orleans. George Bush, however, doesn't care about chocolate people. He doesn't care about thousands of dead Iraqis or the Arab freedom fighters who have been forced to hide in caves in Afghanistan and Pakistan because of American military might. All he cares about is the profits of Exxon and Frito-Lay, both of which are headquartered near Dallas, the city where Ted Kennedy's brother was gunned down by a sniper. But what does George Bush care about that? He is more concerned about snipers on the streets of Baghdad than on the streets of Dallas. It is time to speak up about all of the injustice and outrage. We need to protest. We need to see if we can get Cindy Sheehan to come to Houston where we can all protest and where Cindy can burn her BRA!

There's a moral to my little quote, Dangle: You might want to alert your Lefty friends and any looters who might still be in the city to harass and raid any Frito-Lay trucks attempting to make deliveries in what is left of your city. Obviously with the connection to Ken Lay and Tom DeLay, the presence of such trucks mean only one thing: Texas is invading New Orleans on orders of George Bush and Karl Rove who plan to turn all parts of the city outside of the French Quarter back into swamp land so it can become a private hunting range where Dick Cheney can shoot people from Louisiana instead of a fellow Texan like he did on his last hunting trip!

Anyhow, thanks for republishing my posting in your blog. I haven't had this much fun responding to a posting since I stopped participating in Usenet!

Dangle, regardless of Kevin's ignorant comment above-- I was not supporting "a casual disregard for human life" as he asserts but happiness that a leftist hell-hole that was filled with crack-attacks, thiefs, and violent criminals was wiped off the earth.

I've been to New Orleans twice and loved it both times. Yes, a lot of the people there suck, but it's quite a cultural experience to go. The opportunities to have fun in New Orleans are limitless and, no, I'm not talking about gambling, drinking, and prostitutes.

There's a moral to my little quote, Dangle: You might want to alert your Lefty friends and any looters who might still be in the city to harass and raid any Frito-Lay trucks attempting to make deliveries in what is left of your city. Obviously with the connection to Ken Lay and Tom DeLay, the presence of such trucks mean only one thing: Texas is invading New Orleans on orders of George Bush and Karl Rove who plan to turn all parts of the city outside of the French Quarter back into swamp land so it can become a private hunting range where Dick Cheney can shoot people from Louisiana instead of a fellow Texan like he did on his last hunting trip!

That is the funniest thing I have read all day.

You slay me, Dismuke.

Good rubuttal too...I actually read the whole post...didn't think I had it in me, but it was very good.

• 2 weeks later...

[edit: That's weird! Before I posted this, there was a post from Dangle saying Dismuke was probably friends with Hitler. Maybe a moderator trashed it for its complete irrelevency. Ah well, never mind my post either, then.]

Hmm. I'm pretty sure Dismuke's an atheist. Why would he ever advocate faith? Because he took someone's word that there were New Orleans refugees at Wal-Mart?

I can see where Dismuke got the idea you might be a Communist sympathizer (though I thought he might have slightly exaggerated your probable consistency on this point) because you take an attack on anyone from New Orleans as an automatic attack on you-- which is implicit collectivism (of the egalitarian variety). And because you attack the people Leftists love to attack, and because you wish physical harm and imprisonment upon people whose politics you disapprove of, and for the other reasons Dismuke mentioned throughout his post.

But I can't see where you get the impression Dismuke might be a Nazi. You provide no reasons, explicit or implicit, for this insinuation of yours. Just as you provide no evidence that Dismuke is wrong in his opinions about New Orleans welfare-state refugees; you only complain that his opinion offends you. In failing to provide any reasons, evidence, or valid arguments for your position, you leave the readers of your post with no reason to care whether you're offended or not. Perhaps that's why your blog doesn't get many hits.

Edited by Bold Standard

[edit: That's weird! Before I posted this, there was a post from Dangle saying Dismuke was probably friends with Hitler. Maybe a moderator trashed it for its complete irrelevency. Ah well, never mind my post either, then.]

Everything I have written has been trashed by the moderator. I have my copies though for distribution. I assure you, Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave reading what you people are writing and how you censor what bothers you.

Everything I have written has been trashed by the moderator. I have my copies though for distribution. I assure you, Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave reading what you people are writing and how you censor what bothers you.

Well, this is a privately owned message board. The administrators have a right to allow or disallow any posts to remain on the board at their discretion, since it is their property. Furthermore, there are Forum Guidelines which outline what is acceptable or unacceptable material for this website (which you can access from the main page). So whether Ronald Reagan would approve or disapprove is irrelevant, but if he would disapprove, I don't know on what grounds.

What does Ronald Reagan, the father of modern Conservatism have to do with Objectivism?

Besides the appointment of Alan Greenspan, a friend of Ayn Rand, to the position of Federal Reserve Chairman, and a letter to a colleague thanking him for a copy of AR's article, "Conservatism: An Obituary" and in which he said he was a fan of hers (I can never get over the fact that he read that article and still made some of the decisions he made) I'm not aware of any direct connections. Ayn Rand was certainly highly critical of Reagan as a president (although she died in 1982) but I'm not sure what she thought of him as an actor. Sorry, just thought I'd actually answer your question, for fun. :devil:

Edited by Bold Standard

Wow. It looks like I missed all the fun. For some reason, I haven't been getting email update notifications on this particular topic (I get them for other topics) so I never got to see the posting that all the commotion is about. Sounds like it would have been worth at least a good laugh or two!

[edit: That's weird! Before I posted this, there was a post from Dangle saying Dismuke was probably friends with Hitler.

Gee - why am I somehow not surprised??!

I can see where Dismuke got the idea you might be a Communist sympathizer (though I thought he might have slightly exaggerated your probable consistency on this point) because you take an attack on anyone from New Orleans as an automatic attack on you--

Communist, Leftist, Socialist, Progressive, Fascist - it's all the same thing. They are merely different flavors and colors of the exact same poisonous Kool-Aid.

Hey, Dangle, if you actually are interested in learning a thing or two about what caused the sad situation in your city, you might want to check out that very excellent article: http://snipurl.com/q45k If you have any intelligent, fact-based and rational comments and/or questions regarding it, you can certainly post them here and there might be some sort of basis for those who might be willing to consider engaging you in a mutually informative and profitable dialog. However, if you just simply want to react to it on nothing but raw emotion and spew out emotionalistic venom and tired cliches, well.....yawn.

A bit of friendly advice Dangle: nobody besides yourself and perhaps a few people who know you very well really cares one way or another about your emotions. What you feel about something is really very irrelevant in a public discussion of pretty much anything. What you think about something - well, that has the potential to be interesting even to people who disagree with you. But before you can actually properly think about something, you must first focus on facts and logic. If you do that, then you will deserve to be taken seriously. But if you merely want to vent whatever your feelings happen to be, well, the only sort of attention decent people will give you will be to laugh at you - which is exactly what I did in my reply to your initial posting in this thread.

I can see where Dismuke got the idea you might be a Communist sympathizer (though I thought he might have slightly exaggerated your probable consistency on this point) because you take an attack on anyone from New Orleans as an automatic attack on you-- which is implicit collectivism (of the egalitarian variety). And because you attack the people Leftists love to attack, and because you wish physical harm and imprisonment upon people whose politics you disapprove of, and for the other reasons Dismuke mentioned throughout his post.
Well, he obviously didn't read my blog where I trashed Liberal Demos and Ted Kennedy then I got some slaps by the left. As for physical harm to those who politics I disagree with, well frankly, I think Tom was practicing the old "Honesty is the recognition of the fact that the unreal is unreal and can have no value, that neither love nor fame nor cash is a value if obtained by fraud." As for Bubba, what you got against a little companionship?

But I can't see where you get the impression Dismuke might be a Nazi. You provide no reasons, explicit or implicit, for this insinuation of yours.

I never said he was a Nazi. If they had not taken down my post, you would see that. I suggested a little reading for him may be in order. Besides, didn't Ayn admire Joe McCarthy?

Just as you provide no evidence that Dismuke is wrong in his opinions about New Orleans welfare-state refugees; you only complain that his opinion offends you. In failing to provide any reasons, evidence, or valid arguments for your position, you leave the readers of your post with no reason to care whether you're offended or not. Perhaps that's why your blog doesn't get many hits.

How many hits dose my blog get? Please tell me. And yes, my response was aimed at the lack of sensitivity of Dismuke. I know of elderly people who died in their attics, not because of Katrina; but because of a Governmental agency that admits to have made errors in constructing levees to protect the people of New Orleans and the Port of New Orleans. Their race, class or religeous beliefs and anything else that "our" or should "I" say "My" constitution provide protects all of us, even those who could care less about just plain decency towards another human being.

So, if Dismuke can say what he did with tongue in cheek, I suppose I am on safe ground and this will not be taken down.

Is it safe to say that Texans are a bunch of loud mouth red necks who wear belt buckles that are too big, wear cowboy boots and live in a capitalistic state that housed Enron who in turn, looted their employees' savings while Houston's Halliburton looted the Treasury of The United States with the blessings of George W. Bush and Dick Chaney Then there was Houston's Service Corp. International. Remember Funeralgate? Which leads to Joe Allbaugh, who was up to his eyeballs in that scandal then later was Bush's Chief of Staff in Texas when