Objectivism Online Forum

Anglican Bishops Want Christians To Apologize To Muslims For Iraq

Rate this topic

Capitalism Forever

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus....R20050921a.html

Church of England bishops are calling for Christian leaders to apologize publicly, at a gathering attended by senior Muslims, for the war in Iraq.

Acknowledging that the British government is unlikely to apologize for the "gravely mistaken" war, the bishops suggest that churches should do so by making a "public act of institutional repentance."

The following 4 paragraphs from the article are truly stunning.

1)While criticizing Western democracy as "deeply flawed," the bishops appeal for greater "understanding" of what motivates terrorists, and say efforts must be made to address their "long-standing grievances."

2)The war on Iraq, they say, appeared to have been executed "as much for reasons of American national interest as it was for the well-being of the Iraqi people."

3)And looking beyond Iraq, the bishops also argue for a more flexible approach by the U.S. and European Union over Iran's nuclear program.

4)In a preface, one of the four authors, Bishop of Oxford Richard Harries, writes that for many people in the world today, "It is not terrorism, but American foreign policy and what they perceive as American expansionism which constitutes the major threat to peace."

Here's the translation:

Par. 1: We should bargain with our killers and also subsidize them. This would be the "Christian" thing to do.

Par. 2: Wars should be fought for reasons other than self interest. Presumably altruistic reasons.

Par. 3: We should allow the Iranians to build nuclear weapons. Presumably this would help counter-balance US power in the region.

Par. 4: America is evil and should be opposed. Dictators, thugs and murderers like those running Iran and North Korea are apparently less of a threat to peace than the USA.

I think it's safe to say that only the minds of self-hating mystics could come up with such twisted drivel.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that this was an interesting ending to that article...

------A columnist in The Times derided the bishops' report as the latest example of "regular outpourings of Western self-hatred and the appeasement of tyrants from the Church of England."

"What distinguishes America is that when it fights it does so not to impose tyranny but to promote freedom and the stable democracy of which the bishops are so contemptuous," wrote Stephen Pollard.

"Without America sending its sons to fight for liberty, we would be speaking German."-------

Gags, reading your post was like popping out of water and gulping down breaths of fresh air. THANK YOU.

-Aurora-

Edited by Aurora Afiag

• 4 months later...
The following 4 paragraphs from the article are truly stunning.

1)While criticizing Western democracy as "deeply flawed," the bishops appeal for greater "understanding" of what motivates terrorists, and say efforts must be made to address their "long-standing grievances."

2)The war on Iraq, they say, appeared to have been executed "as much for reasons of American national interest as it was for the well-being of the Iraqi people."

3)And looking beyond Iraq, the bishops also argue for a more flexible approach by the U.S. and European Union over Iran's nuclear program.

4)In a preface, one of the four authors, Bishop of Oxford Richard Harries, writes that for many people in the world today, "It is not terrorism, but American foreign policy and what they perceive as American expansionism which constitutes the major threat to peace."

Here's the translation:

Par. 1: We should bargain with our killers and also subsidize them. This would be the "Christian" thing to do.

Par. 2: Wars should be fought for reasons other than self interest. Presumably altruistic reasons.

Par. 3: We should allow the Iranians to build nuclear weapons. Presumably this would help counter-balance US power in the region.

Par. 4: America is evil and should be opposed. Dictators, thugs and murderers like those running Iran and North Korea are apparently less of a threat to peace than the USA.

I think it's safe to say that only the minds of self-hating mystics could come up with such twisted drivel.

Nonsense like this is exactly the reason why American Episcopal Ministers are going back to the Catholic Church, not that they have been doing anywhere near what is clearly called for. But I have a question for one of these supposed Bishops of higher reason.

What kind of peace do you wish for the world? Do you seek the true peace that comes with free communication and trade between all free peoples, or are you looking for a concrete based, pragmatic, inconsistent balance of political power between lesser and greater tyrannies? But more importantly, do you understand the ramifications of these two contradictory goals?

Since these daft padres won't respond to this, I'll answer it for them. "No, we don't understand the ramifications of these two forms of peace. Peace is an end in itself, regardless to what definition we place upon it." To which, I then respond:

"I have always made one prayer to God, a very short one. Here it is: "My God, make our enemies very ridiculous!" God has granted it to me." (Voltaire)

Edited by dark_unicorn