Objectivism Online Forum

Bird Brains

Rate this topic

Michero

I heard about this in my Friday Environmental Science class when we were discussing current events. Half the time I don't even bother to argue with the teachers and students anymore about subjects like this - it takes too much effort to convince someone who refuses to think.

No kidding. I have all sorts of questions for the idiots who put this ordinance through.

1) Are the birds ONLY flying after midnight, not between Dusk and Midnight?

2) If not, then why are you allowing lights on between Dusk and Midnight?

3) How do you know that birds won't be confused by lights on the 39th(!) floor, but will be on the 40th?

*sigh* I bet all you'll get is a series of Blank-Outs

No kidding. I have all sorts of questions for the idiots who put this ordinance through.

1) Are the birds ONLY flying after midnight, not between Dusk and Midnight?

2) If not, then why are you allowing lights on between Dusk and Midnight?

3) How do you know that birds won't be confused by lights on the 39th(!) floor, but will be on the 40th?

*sigh* I bet all you'll get is a series of Blank-Outs

someone else also noted that the birds may be more likely to hit the building because the lights are off and they can't see them. I don't know if that's true or not but it's still pretty damn funny.

I bet the people who support this kind of stuff also support wind turbines for energy even though those kill thousands of birds.

I bet the people who support this kind of stuff also support wind turbines for energy even though those kill thousands of birds.

you know, that reminds me of something my freedom orientated biology professor one said. It takes more energy in terms of oil usage to build one of those turbines than the turbine will ever produce in it's life.

good old environmentalists, putting feelings before thoughts...

It takes more energy in terms of oil usage to build one of those turbines than the turbine will ever produce in it's life.

Is this statistic true? Anyone have any factual source for that? I'd be interested in seeing it.

As for crazy environmentalism...about a decade ago, my Aunt (well, my grandfather's sister, so grand-aunt, or great aunt) had problems with pigeons pecking at her windows in the morning. She hired someone to do something about it, and he placed a kind of tar outside her window which was supposed to cause the birds to touch it, not like the feel of it and fly away as a result.

What allegedly happened was the tar caused the birds to get stuck, and allegedly die. Her neighbors were bird lovers and they called the police on her. The police marched into her university and arrested her in front of her students.

:homestar:

Though, to be honest, she's a crazy left-wing college professor, so maybe she had it coming... :glare:

Edited by Captain Nate

Is this statistic true? Anyone have any factual source for that? I'd be interested in seeing it

While I don't know specifically how much energy one turbine provides I have a source that states:

In order to equal the amount of power produced by a 1,000-megawatt nuclear power plant, a solar park would have to take up 35,000 acres, and a wind farm would require 150,000 acres. In contrast, a 1,900-megawatt nuclear power plant only needs 500 acres to operate. (http://www.gale.com/index.htm)

and just for fun:

Deaths related to energy production:

In the United States, not one death resulted from nuclear energy; not one injury occurred because of nuclear energy (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/reaction/maps/chart1.html).

(chart shows how many have died in the coal/oil industries)