Objectivism Online Forum

What Is OPEC?

Rate this topic

Proverb

I have been running around with my broken concept of OPEC for a while. I simply don't know enough and am assuming it is something it may not be. From little I know of it, it seems to me that it is an association that withholds supply of crude oil. This would not be unlike the policy with diamonds, "hold the product, hike the prices." Is this correct? Will someone offer a more educated evaluation of OPEC?

Thanks All.

Edited by Proverb

It stands for "Organisation of Oil-Producing Countries", which gives you a hint. Their purpose is to establish uniform policies for the (currently) 11 members, which have government-run petroleum industries. They may either increase or decrease production, depending on political and economic factors. De Beers' CSO is much more successful than OPEC (note that OPEC has only 11 member nations). Non-OPEC production is equal to or higher than OPEC production, which limits the impact of OPEC withholding supply.